Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Any suggestions for a good sling?

(15 Posts)
BrightShinySun Tue 05-Aug-08 08:46:46

Im looking for a good sling not too expensive. Dont want one of those carriers where baby is upright but an actual proper sling just really for the first few months. Any suggestions o wise mumsnetters? smile

NellyTheElephant Tue 05-Aug-08 11:07:57

I just love my 'Hotsling', (bought from www.bigmamaslings.co.uk) mainly because it is just one single tube of material (so you do have to measure yourself to make sure you get the right size) and so there are no straps or rings or faffing around. I still use it occasionally (in hip carrier position) for DD now and she is 18 months and v heavy! It's great for when we're walking somewhere and she suddenly decides not to any more, it folds up to nothing and I can always have it with me to pick her up if she decides enough is enough on walking - saves lugging the buggy around.

eandz Tue 05-Aug-08 11:09:49

thank you for creating this thread. i was thinking about doing similar a day or two ago.

i like the look of ring slings and the calin bleau slings, but still need reviews on both.

oopsacoconut Tue 05-Aug-08 11:17:17

Hi Ladies - have pointed our MD Aug resident sling expert here - but she is trying to persuade her baby to come out soon so she may not see it for a few days!

themothership Tue 05-Aug-08 11:24:49

The selection of Freedom slings (through ebay - just do a search for Freedom slings) are good and very reasonably priced if you don't want to spend too much money. I used a ring sling from birth up to around 20 months and it was great - very simple to put on, adjustable, good for breastfeeding.

The Tri-cotti is also meant to be really good for newborns - again very easy to put on, lovely soft jersey material, great for breastfeeding.

The Baby Wearer website www.thebabywearer.com is a great resource for sling reviews, baby wearing advice etc.

bealcain Tue 05-Aug-08 11:59:45

thanks oopsacoconut!!

i'd recommend a wrap sling. baby can be cradle carry, upright or however you wish. try a moby, hug-a-bub, kari me if you like the look of stretchy or a calin bleu gauze, strochenweige, didymos if you like woven. if you don't want to ti then look a close carrier, they're virtually the same except they're pre-tied you just adjust with rings, v.v.v. comfy

if you don't want to buy, as you're only going to ise for a few months, i would consider hiring one, many of the sling vendors provide this service or you may find someone local that could be cheaper.

(if you;re near me in the S.E. then i do it!!)

HTH

bealcain Tue 05-Aug-08 12:02:33

eandz - i've fouund ringslings to be great. i used a maya RS when ds2 was first born. It's now been demoted to my car sling as it's great for popping in and out and places, so quick and easy although i don;t think i could carry him far in it now as it;s all carried on one shoulder. Althogh weight is distributed across back you can still feel the difference after a while. (he is 18months now though)

I'm taking my CB into hospital with me. It;s great for newborns and i can carry ds1 (almost3) on my back in it for an hour if eed be.

BrightShinySun Tue 05-Aug-08 12:06:13

Thanks for all your suggestions will check them all out. Bealcain im in wiltshire,do you mean you hire them out or use a hiring service?

bealcain Tue 05-Aug-08 12:12:29

i run a local sling library.if you;re intersted go to handinhandbreastfeeding dot co dot uk

contat me through there and i can give you more info

eandz Tue 05-Aug-08 12:29:26

whats a sling library?

i'm in nw london, but i don't do anything these days except gestate so can easily make it to the library to check stuff out.

bealcain Tue 05-Aug-08 12:35:49

it's like a book library only it's slings that can be borrowrd (for a small fee) and then returned either when you;ve tried it out and realised you want to buy it or you;re not using it anymore.

most people i hire to, have it for between 2weeks and a month and then buy. some just borrow for holidays, travelling etc

eandz Tue 05-Aug-08 12:51:22

ohh ok. do you have a calin bleau sling thing? and a ring sling?

should i email you re prices?

bealcain Tue 05-Aug-08 12:55:04

eandz go to handinhandbreastfeeding and contact me through there

eandz Tue 05-Aug-08 13:10:41

ok, will do

Yvonnejane Tue 05-Aug-08 14:58:30

The hugabub is the best! Get it in black and it's a trendy option too! It was the most invaluable thing when my little girl was tiny. Every time I put her in she fell asleep and i could do whatever I liked. And the fact it wraps close around you means you and bend down etc without baby getting in the way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now