Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Help! What is the verdict on using hairdye during pregnancy???

(10 Posts)
LisaJasper Mon 04-Aug-08 20:17:25

I'm on my 2nd pg, 13 weeks, I used to have my hair highlighted, but now I'm a SAHM I can't really afford that, so am a true bottle blonde. So far I've managed to go without dying my hair for about 6 weeks (I dyed it before I knew I was pg). I can't face going darker and using a semi permanent hair dye, but also don't want to risk any problems by using a permanent bleach. What are the views on using a permanent hair dye in pregnancy - my midwife said - "hmm yes well they say that you shouldn't now" which didn't convince me either way! Help!!!!!!!!

feedmenow Mon 04-Aug-08 20:31:08

My hairdresser told me that hair dying in pg was fine. But I can't remeber if that included bleaching - sorry!

There must be a hairdresser somewhere on MN who can answer your question....

MatNanPlus Mon 04-Aug-08 20:32:42

SOme say YES some say NO.

This says OK

thehouseofmirth Mon 04-Aug-08 20:33:08

I think highlights are considered fine as they don't touch your scalp so no chance of entering the bloodstream but an all over kind of dye is not recommended.

PInkyminkyohnooo Mon 04-Aug-08 21:48:30

My hairdresser always said it was fine. You might want to be careful if you use strong lightening products as your hair may become more brittle during PG.

onepieceoflollipop Mon 04-Aug-08 21:50:42

Lisa there is another thread where the poster claims to be considering having (look away now if squeamish) anal bleaching!

I think opinion varies re the hair on your head.

mum2bean Tue 05-Aug-08 01:46:35

i've been told by my sis who is now a qualified hairdresser, that it's not widely recommended to have highlights, or heavy dyes as she calls them, as they are less likely to take to your hair the way you would like, so you could either fade, go really bright or really nice, and because of the peroxcide bleach in them.
saying this, i dyed my hair a darkish colour about a week ago (im 30weeks gone) and it's all been ok. it took really well. if not, i've been told vegetable dyes are ok to use.

RuthT Tue 05-Aug-08 01:47:47

Hairdresser told me that Aveda highlights were prob best as they are 99% plant extracts.

lulu1414 Tue 05-Aug-08 09:39:14

Doctor, midwife, hairdressers and friends have ALL said it is fine. Obviously if you want to be careful wait until after 1st trimester. I have been dying my hair after my 12week scan. I probably wait a little longer than I would normally between dye jobs, but that is just because I am a worrier (and lazy!). Supposedly it is slightly better to go to a hairdresser, but just because of fumes etc.

mslucy Tue 05-Aug-08 09:56:25

it's fine.
*cries at thought of revealing grey hair to world*

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now