Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

is there any way to 'tone up' in pregnancy?

(10 Posts)
mad4mybaby Mon 04-Aug-08 13:53:43

I obv dont mean lose wieght or anything but i do swimming and run around after 2 yr old just wondering what is good for toning up mainly legs and arms and keeping muscles eoned?

bikerunski Mon 04-Aug-08 13:59:18

I've been swimming once or twice a week, been walking most days and go to preganancy pilates once once a week. I used to run and cyce a lot before I was pg, so I'm not as toned as I'd liek to be, but I don't seem too flabby.

mad4mybaby Mon 04-Aug-08 14:08:00

yeah im not particluarly 'flabby' but can see it going that way (am 24 weeks) obv in an ideal world and wasnt PG would hit the gym even though i hate it!

curleyshirley Mon 04-Aug-08 14:11:59

You could try a pre-natal DVD - I have been doing Erin O'Brien's pre-natal fix (bought it from Amazon) and while it gets extremely irritating after a while, it definitely does the job for toning legs and arms...

mad4mybaby Mon 04-Aug-08 14:16:46

irritating in what way? Not sure when i'd get time to do a dvd with ds about hence why i just swim and put him in creche! Would consider it if it would be worth it tho

curleyshirley Mon 04-Aug-08 14:27:12

Irritating in terms of just being repetitive, and her saying silly things every so often, which, when you hear day in day out ebgin to grate ! But I have been doing it about 4/5 times a week for the last 5 weeks (I am 23 weeks pg now), so I know it well enough to do it with the sound down and the radio on. The work-out lasts 40 minutes, which is ideal (for me). I put DD to bed and immiedately do that for 40 mins before I get on with the evening. (Personally I find it much easier than going swimming/creche because it just takes those 40 mins, no extra journey time.) If you can find a slot you know it would fit in - when DS is napping during the day, or just after he goes to bed, it would definitely be worth it. Its (relatively) hard work and feels you have had a good workout, and it definitely shows in my arms and legs now. (I did buy Davina pre-natal too, but not very strenouns at all - may come into its own in third trimester though I guess!).

mad4mybaby Mon 04-Aug-08 14:30:34

im 24 weeks!! Ds does sleep for 1 hour after lunch and have always used that to try to catch up on house stuff or put my feet up as he is such a pain sometimes (as in hard work in constant need of stimulation etc!) but maybe i could do it every other day or something

whiteorchid Mon 04-Aug-08 15:07:48

Yes, the Erin O'Brien prenatal fix is pretty good, although I agree it gets a bit annoying. It doesn't have much cardio, but it's good for toning exercises. Also, the 'partner workout' is hilarious! Her partner is the plumber off Desperate Housewives, and he just stands around looking really bored (deliberately). Cringeworthy stuff. Anyway, the good thing about the DVD is you don't need any special kit like weights or gym balls, so you can do it at home.

If you're lucky, hatcam (fabby personal trainer) might come on with some more tailored advice.

curleyshirley Mon 04-Aug-08 15:17:52

I've never done the partner bit - couldnt bear being so cringed out by lovely plumber from D. Housewives!!

MrsMattie Mon 04-Aug-08 15:41:58

I've been doing arm exercises using a couple of tins of beans - to tone my biceps and triceps. Sick of having flabby arms! Also been doing pelvic floor exercises and bum clenches religiously to help ease my SPD, but physio reckons it will make toning up after the birth easier too, which is a bonus. Also doing ham string stretches and a few yoga postures to stretch out my back and keep supple. No reason why you can't do a bit of gentle exercise when pregnant, even if you are generally unfit and love your chips and chocolate, like me grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now