Talk

Advanced search

IBS and pregnancy - aaaaaaaarghhhhh!

(7 Posts)
babyignoramus Mon 04-Aug-08 13:26:56

My IBS is playing up something chronic at the moment. I know it's partly because my eating habits have change a bit (feeling sick, foor aversion, etc.) and my stomach really doesn't like change, but does anyone know if hormones can affect it as well? It was particularly bad in my teens so I'm thinking that could be it....!

Any suggestions to ease the symptons would be gratefully received.

lornski Mon 04-Aug-08 19:43:51

Hi,
saw my midwife at early assessment clinic who told me to expect my IBS to play up the whole way through thanks to all those darn hormones.......... sorry......

Yvonnejane Tue 05-Aug-08 15:12:55

I've had the same thing. Lots of bloating and wind so I've decided to try and cut out wheat and it's helping. According to birth guru Gowri Motha, cutting out wheat helps you to have an easier delivery too!

PetitFilou1 Tue 05-Aug-08 15:52:35

I'm surprised - my IBS has got better in all of my pregnancies (I am told because of the relaxin) but I suppose it depends which type you have - the constipated sort or the running to the loo sort. What symptoms are you getting?

Slickbird Wed 06-Aug-08 20:55:32

I had horrendous pain with my last one, in fact, was taken to hospital twice as doubled up in pain for 16 hours at a time, near fainting, and it was 'just IBS'. I would very strongly suggest getting the hospita to prescribe 'Peppermint Water' as you can't get it anywhere else, and I would also, failing that, get your doctor to precribe you MALLOX. It tastes vile, kinda like suncream I thought, but it did help. As did lowering my intake of wheat, which pissed me off no end.

Good luck!

snikers Fri 08-Aug-08 21:03:03

My IBS had calmed for the 1st tri & has come back since hittin the 2nd tri, apparently somethin to do with the changin hormones at diff stages of preg!
peppermint tea is safe to take in normal doses but don't go mad! (It took me& hubby an hour to find this out in all the useless preg books we got given!)
I also find that when i get crampin from trapped wind etc it makes me tum feel as if bruised as bein 24wks preg i find it really painful to bloat even more when i do hav an attack & my hubby brought me a lush therepy belly massage bar, which he gently massages in to my sore tum & it really helps,& the added bonus it contains lavender which helps with insomnia & i've slept really well since using it.

Cosmogirl Sun 10-Aug-08 20:17:21

I also heard IBS is supposed to improve, even disappear, during pregnancy. Started a thread in health on it a while ago. If you do a search you should be able to find it. Got quite a few responses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now