Talk

Advanced search

HELP! what do contractions feel like?

(16 Posts)
mum2bean Sun 03-Aug-08 22:42:05

im 30 weeks pregnant and the babys head is pushing down on my cervix, and im getting pains around that area every now and then are they real or braxton hicks?

laura325630 Sun 03-Aug-08 22:44:30

Mine were like period pains to start with then towards the end they all came at worse with back ache! Time them, if they are regular, getting closer together and more painful then it might be worth getting checked out.

Have you had a lot of braxton hicks before now?

lou031205 Sun 03-Aug-08 22:46:38

I think that if you are getting tightenings around your bump, and they are more often than 15 minutes apart, you need to be checked.

Have a large drink - dehydration can cause these sorts of things.

anothercoverup Sun 03-Aug-08 22:47:48

have u timed how often they are coming? if they are regular then they could well be the real thing.If they are PAINFUL buut irregular they could be the start of the real thing. if they are just uncomfortable they are most likely bh. But... In all honesty if you are at all concerned contact your midwife or labour suite just to be on the safe side, especially given the fact that you are only 30 weeks.
hth xxx

mum2bean Sun 03-Aug-08 22:49:24

thanks ill try them tips out. iv never had braxtons hicks and iv never had period pains

anothercoverup Sun 03-Aug-08 22:50:30

let us know hun xxx

squatchette Sun 03-Aug-08 22:51:36

Braxton Hicks are more of an all over tightening of the uterus ,so your whole stomach goes hard.They are more uncomfortable than painful .Saying that i'm having no3 early next month and was convinced last week I was going into labour as they had got really constant and quite strong.You will know when the real thing starts because the contractions get closer together as time goes on and become painful .
With my 2nd dd I went to hospital as i was 50 % sure my waters were leaking was about to be sent home at 8pm and she had arrived by 9.45pm ,so they can come on quite suddenly too .Although with 1st babies it tends to be slower.
Reading that back I sound full of contradictions sorry hope the next person is of more use,and good lucksmile.

KerryMum Sun 03-Aug-08 22:54:37

when it's time you will know.

i know that sounds condescending. I thought it was when people said that to me.

but you do.

thisisyesterday Sun 03-Aug-08 22:57:23

agree with kerrymum.
I was petrified with ds1 that I wouldn't be able to tell, and everyone said "oh, you;ll just know"

and I did.

anothercoverup Sun 03-Aug-08 23:00:38

yes you do just know...lol

mum2bean Sun 03-Aug-08 23:03:05

ill just wait until ma waters break then ill start lol

thisisyesterday Sun 03-Aug-08 23:09:31

lol, my waters didn't break spontaneously with either of mine.
in fact, think ds2 would have been born in his sac if the midwives hadn't broken them

mum2bean Sun 03-Aug-08 23:12:51

thanks! lol

anothercoverup Mon 04-Aug-08 11:32:50

my dd2 was born in her membranes

mum2bean Mon 04-Aug-08 16:32:30

well, i never had the baby!

lulumama Mon 04-Aug-08 16:34:44

that is good as 10 weeks early is a bit too early.

agree that keeping hydrated is important, and if this is your first baby, and you are able to rest, then rest

if you do get pains, and you are concerned, you should call labour ward'/ MW for reassurance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now