Talk

Advanced search

Question about bump measurements...

(7 Posts)
logic Thu 10-Feb-05 20:08:01

I'm on my second pregnancy (27 weeks) and today the midwife measured the fundus (sp?) height with a tape measure for the first time - 27cm apparently. Trouble is, I can't remember what the measurement means and what is a "normal" range. Does anyone know?

Cristina7 Thu 10-Feb-05 20:11:29

It's a rough and ready measure, the measurement should match your gestational age. So you're spot on right now!

Clayhead Thu 10-Feb-05 20:12:23

I think 1cm for each week of pregnancy.

I didn't measure 'right' with my first pregnancy and it caused a lot of (unnecessary IMO) worry. Second time round the midwife never even got her tape measure out! It doesn't seem a very exact science...

logic Thu 10-Feb-05 21:23:05

Ah, thanks for the info! It does seem a bit vague doesn't it?

nightowl Fri 11-Feb-05 00:39:45

says nothing to me...just like scans. i measured spot on with my dd and she came out small. the scans measured spot on too. not one of them was right!

Cristina7 Fri 11-Feb-05 10:47:30

Scans have a 15% measurement error in late stages of pregnancy (or some such figure). So I expect the tape measurements have similar errors.

logic Fri 11-Feb-05 12:24:54

I expect so, Cristina. Surely it depends on what position the baby is in as well. Sometimes the baby is really far back and sometimes she is right out front. I expect that she will be quite a small baby anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now