Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What can I do to get baby to be more active at next scan? Any suggestions welsome!

(18 Posts)
timsmama Sat 02-Aug-08 20:18:03

we had our 20-week scan last wednesday and baby did not move at all! The sonographer tried 30 minutes to make it move, but it was happily sucking its thumb - and to top it off it had its legs crossed the entire time too! In fact, baby was so still I was really worried until I saw the little heart beating away.
We really want to find out the sex - not that it matters to us either way but just soooo curious- , and as we have another scan on monday (sonographer coulnt examine the spine at last scan) I am desperate for it to be more active!!! Thank you

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 02-Aug-08 20:29:14

We had this problem at the 20 week scan, was sent for a 15 min fast walk around the hopsital frounds and then told to jump up and down in the room before she had another go, it did work.

bluewolf Sat 02-Aug-08 20:30:43

I went for a scan and the scan-meister or doctor actually told me to drink some coca cloa to wake it up a bit.

geordieminx Sat 02-Aug-08 20:30:58

drink ice cold water - as much as you can without your bladder exploding.

I remember at one of my scans being told my bladder was too full and could I "empty it a bit" hmm

Shitehawk Sat 02-Aug-08 20:31:02

Icy cold water always got dd moving.

laura325630 Sat 02-Aug-08 20:32:37

Ice cold water just before you go in and chocolate always used to get my dd going!

timsmama Sat 02-Aug-08 20:34:35

I had drunk some coffee and also some Diet Coke beforehand (and was asked to empty my bladder as it was too full ) but it seems baby isnt as sensitive to caffeine as me. I will have to walk to hospital on Monday, so maybe that will help - maybe could try to walk briskly for last bit...

ajm200 Sat 02-Aug-08 20:34:59

Something sugary and very cold about 10 mins before should work. The combo of a sugar rush and cold makes 'em wriggle.

The MW suggested it with my 1st pregnancy when I was being monitored and my son was being lazy. It worked a treat.

FrazzledFairyFay Sat 02-Aug-08 20:36:18

Have a very cold, full-sugar fizzy drink just before you go in.

timsmama Sat 02-Aug-08 20:41:03

will try some regular coke then. It's never THAT cold from the machines but hopefully it will do. Thank you!!!

sambrads Sat 02-Aug-08 21:00:23

i had some lucozade and my baby went mad she moved all over the place had the best scan ever with brill pictures

i remember with my first pregnancy going over to the hospital as i thought my waters were coming away the mw put me on the monitor to trace the baby and she pulled out this case of lucozade and told me to drink half a cup to get the baby moving so i would get a good reading on the monitor.

i have also herad that you should quickly gulp cold water not sip it !!!

oopsacoconut Sat 02-Aug-08 21:09:00

Orange Juice always worked/works for me when ever I think she is being quiet I have a half glass of OJ and hey presto shes a wriggler.

dinkystinky Sat 02-Aug-08 21:21:57

I had a decaf latte before my 20 week scan and baby was bouncing all over the place (obviously liked the milk) - may be worth a go. He was so active I had to go back 4 weeks later for another scan so they could get the measurements and I was banned from milky drinks before that one.

timsmama Mon 04-Aug-08 20:14:09

Hi ladies!
thanks for all the suggestions - I tried them but baby must be seriously chilled out; wouldnt it be nice if it stayed that way

Had to go in for a third scan and they could just about to all the measurements. And we did find out we are having another little boy.

missblythe Mon 04-Aug-08 20:16:22

Ah, congratulations on your chilled out boy.

Long may it continue!

timsmama Mon 04-Aug-08 20:31:57

Thank you! If this one will have just half as much energy as his big brother, I will still be very busy wink

babylove123 Tue 05-Aug-08 12:00:11

Well done for your subsequent scan (im a little slow on this one, lol).

Had same prob with mine. Took 3 scans to find out what she was because she wldnt move!

I kno i'll prob get kicked for saying it but the only thing that gets mine going is red bull! I think the caffeine makes her a little crazy (only for 10 mins or so) and then she chills out but it works wonders! Obv, be very careful with it!

dgomez Tue 05-Aug-08 13:42:46

Also chocolate or ice cream.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now