Talk

Advanced search

15 wks pg and Just come back from hosp after a hemorrage (sp?).help.

(37 Posts)
nobodysfool Fri 01-Aug-08 21:47:35

TMI ALERT:
I'm 15 weeks pg and have had on and off bleeding from 9 weeks.
this afternoon i went to the loo and had a massive bleed and passed lots of large clots (a little bigger than an egg).I was bleeding (pouring out) constantly for roughly 10 mins.
Dh called an ambulance and they took me off to hosp.
Sent up to the gyne ward and waited to see the consultant-4 hours.
She did an internal and said i had a massive hemorrage and possibly a low lying placenta.There was no scanning machine available so have been booked in for a scan sun morning.
She used a doppler and eventually found the babys heartbeat.Thank goodness.
Can anybody tell me more about a low lying placenta and what it means for my baby-have looked on the web but it didnt tell me much.
I really thought i was loosing the baby and it has knocked me for six and im still so worried.

nobodysfool Fri 01-Aug-08 22:02:07

bump

ajm200 Fri 01-Aug-08 22:14:49

My heart goes out to you but do yourself a favour and wait for the scan. Don't read the stuff out there on the internet. It is full of worst case scenarios that may never affect you.

I had 3 fairly heavy bleeds between 14 and 28 weeks when I was expecting my son. I was really scared each time but he was a fighter and is now a very healthy, happy, boisterous 20 month old. They never did find the cause of my bleeding and I had spotting/light bleeds every day from 4 to 14 weeks with my current pregnancy and the scan shows she's fine too...

If you do have a low lying placenta, you might have to consider a C-section if the placenta is between your baby and your cervix. The DR or MW can explain it to you if you give them a call.

doodledandy Fri 01-Aug-08 22:26:28

I had bleeding in both pregnancies and a low lying placenta in the first pregnancy. Like you, on each occasion they found a heartbeat and then I had to wait for scans which was really scary and upsetting (except the one at 26 weeks where I could feel the baby moving still and I had the round the waist heartbeat monitor to assess the baby). What else can I say but try not to be too dispondent as all is not necessarily lost - bleeding can be quite common (I was told)- not necessarily catastrophic and I have 2 lovely boys to support that. I would second the opinion not to google it, it will do your head in. Good Luck.

nobodysfool Fri 01-Aug-08 22:35:25

ok ill stay away from google.
They have already suggested that i have a c section as i had and emergency c section last time as ds head got stuck on the way out and was later told he was far too big for my pelvis.
Does a low lying placenta effect the baby in a negative way?
My dh tried calling mw and she hasnt got back to us even though the meaage was left 6 and a half hours ago.
Just so worried about he baby.

bethoo Fri 01-Aug-08 22:37:36

i bled continuously from 6 weeks to 16 weeks and one time like you there was blood everywhere like a heavy period. i had several scans and they could see a large pool of blood in my uterus. sometimes heamoraghes (sp!) are there and no one knows why. i was even more paraniod as i had had 2 m/c previously.
needless to say i now have a happy 17 month old.

nobodysfool Fri 01-Aug-08 22:41:15

thanks bethoo.
Glad it all turned out well for you.

calsworld Fri 01-Aug-08 22:46:08

I know nothing of this, but just wanted to say good luck for your scans, and rest as much as you can until you get your scan. x

bethoo Fri 01-Aug-08 22:48:11

smile

iliketosleep Sat 02-Aug-08 10:12:07

Hi, I had a big bleed at 15 weeks. Was lying in bed, coughed and blood just shot out of me soaking the covers, sheets, matress, even dp blush It lasted for around 6 minutes then stopped, leaving me with about 4 brown wipes. sorry really TMI blush

Went straight to doctors next morning who sent me for a scan and found out I had a subchorionic haematoma (an area of bleed and fluid next to the placenta)

Because of how big it was the bleeding came every night (strange hmm) for the next 2 weeks. I was scanned regularly and saw the area shrink. by the time i had my 20 week scan it was gone!!

All was well and im now 15 days from my due date

nobodysfool Sat 02-Aug-08 10:56:14

ilike to sleep.Glad your ok now-it must have really scared you.did the baby have any ill effects from subchorionic haematoma?
I had noticed old blood only in the night and nothing during the day,maybe it would be worth asking if that could be a possibility.

iliketosleep Sat 02-Aug-08 21:33:23

As far as I know she is fine, has been at all of my scans and is a little larger than average (eeek)

Its definatly worth asking

pollyblue Sun 03-Aug-08 11:06:23

I had a low lying placenta and had a bad bleed at 32 weeks, dd was eventually born by section at 37 weeks.
Very often a low placenta will move out of the way as the pregnancy progresses, you should be scanned about 34 weeks to check it's position.
I had several bleeds before dd was born, I was kept in hospital for a fortnight before her birth to ensure i would get quick attention if I bled. I ended up quite anaemic which is common, but dd was absolutely fine, a healthy 7lbs and no health problems since. As far as I know it only becomes a threat to the baby if you go into labour when the placenta is covering the cervix, but otherwise the blood loss will affect you more than the baby.
Best of luck, hope it all turns out well for you smile

nobodysfool Sun 03-Aug-08 14:47:48

i was taken into hosp again last night with another huge hemmorrage.This time there was only one but it was the size of the palm of my hand followed by lots of free flowing blood that looked like somebody had turned a tap on.
Had a scan this morning and they have confimed a low lying placenta that is completely covering my cervix.
Thankfully the baby looks fine at the moment and they allowed me to come home.
I have been told it will probably happen again.
Feel over the moon the baby is well but worried if another one happens it may not be the case.

1dilemma Sun 03-Aug-08 15:09:46

Maybe try posting again with a different title? I've no direct experience but I think the placenta moves up as the pregnancy progresses for a lot of people.
Fingers crossed for you

kitstwins Sun 03-Aug-08 16:51:06

I had a low lying placenta with my twin pregnancy and bled on and off from 23 weeks onwards. Some episodes triggered labour (the bleeding can irritate the uterus, trigger contractions and therefore start labour) so they tend to put you on something called 'pelvic rest' which essentially means nothing that could jar the cervix or irritate the uterus (so no sex, orgasms, exercise, overdoing it). Boring but safe.

I found it very scary - the bleeds came with no warning and varied from the light (a minute of red blood) to pouring out of me. I was in hospital from 30 weeks on bed rest and eventually had an emergency caesarean at 35 weeks after a massive bleed.

The bleeding is common with placenta praevia and although there is no guarantee that it will happen again, there is also no guarantee that it won't. If you've had a bleed, it's more likely to happen again than not. However, the placenta can move out of the way (as the uterus grows upwards, the placenta gets 'stretched' away from the cervix, which removes the risk). Mine stretched away a bit but was unstable at one edge (they think a bit had 'peeled' away, which is why I was very unlucky and the bleeds persisted.

Try to take things easy in the meantime. They'll have a much clearer idea once you've been scanned and the bonus is that you'll now have a lot more scans and probably consultant care as you'll be slightly higher risk. It's very scary and I really sympathise, but it doesn't spell doom - my twins are now happy, healthy two year olds and weren't remotely affected by all the dramas of my pregnancy.

Good luck and hope things settle down - there is every chance that this will be a one off.
Kx

kitstwins Sun 03-Aug-08 16:57:56

Just seen your other message. If it's over your cervix then it won't move and you might have further episodes of bleeding as this is more common with total praevia. The good news is that it tends to affect you far more than the babies - I ended up badly anaemic so you'll probably be put onto iron supplements at some point in your pregnancy (it might be worth asking about this at your next appointment). Equally, you now have the perfect excuse to take things very easy - nothing strenous or heavy going and nothing that could potentially irritate the cervix. So as in my previous post, no sex or orgasms.

The only risk with praevia is that the bleeding can trigger contractions so it might be worth keeping your notes with you at all times and always having a mindset about being able to get to hospital quickly. I had what I called my 'bleed bag' which I kept in the house and which had enough for an overnight stay (small toiletries, pads, spare pair of knickers, nightdress, book, cardigan, flip flops for grotty nhs showers). Always have your phone with you. None of this is meant to scare you - I had it more to make myself better.

It also might help to know that a girlfriend who was also expecting twins had total praevia (compared to my partial praevia) and didn't bleed once during her pregnancy, although she had been told that it was a certainty. She also went on to have two very healthy boys.

Take care.
Kx

iliketosleep Sun 03-Aug-08 20:58:39

Ah, I never had low lying placenta so cant really advise! So pleased that baby is ok

Best wishes for the rest of your pregnancy!!

xxxxxxx

nobodysfool Mon 04-Aug-08 12:55:12

Kitstwins-i have been put on cervix rest.didn't realise i couldn't have orgasms though.....oh well.
Glad everything turned out well for you.
I have already packed a bag and will get some flip flopswink

SazzlesA Mon 04-Aug-08 13:06:04

Message withdrawn

SazzlesA Mon 04-Aug-08 13:08:11

Message withdrawn

nobodysfool Mon 04-Aug-08 18:12:23

Thanks sazzlesa-
Great to know there are happy ending stories.
Good luck with No. 2.

kitstwins Mon 04-Aug-08 20:05:35

Nobodysfool I think orgasms can irritate the cervix as they cause mild contraction of the uterus (without going into detail, think of that nice, pulsing sensatation you get at the point of orgasm - or is that just me? Kitstwins discovers that she is a medical anomoly.....). The issue is that the cervix is somewhat mobile and can be affected by strenuous movement/activity and that can trigger a bleed from the blood vessels of the placenta that are lying directly over the cervix.

It's a bore but the upside is you'll get a lot more care and attention lavished upon you by your hospital (more scans, consultant care, etc.). Equally, as SazzlesA mentioned they may give you steroids for the baby's lungs in case she or he comes slightly early, which is a nice reassurance. I had steroids at 25 weeks and at 31 weeks and my twins avoided special care and had no breathing issues.

Good luck and use this opportunity to go 'victorian' in your pregnancy - lots of wafting around and sofa time and absolutely NO STAR JUMPS!!

Kx

nobodysfool Mon 04-Aug-08 21:04:19

Kitstwins-i'm glad to tell you that that its not only you that has that nice pulsating feeling grin
I like the idea of going victorian-though im not sure the dresses are really me.
I'm feeling really paranoid that its going to happen again and am just 'waiting' for the next bleed.Hope this dread weras off soon.

SazzlesA Mon 04-Aug-08 21:09:59

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now