Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When do I claim for child benefit?

(7 Posts)
Jane7 Thu 31-Jul-08 15:30:06

I'm 31 weeks and just wondering if this is something I should sort out before baby comes. Also, does anyone know if the Child Trust Fund comes automaticallly, or do I have to apply for that?

Thank you!

TheUnsinkableMB Thu 31-Jul-08 15:32:41

As soon as you can really, because they'll only back-date it by about 3 months.

Can't really remember, but I'm sure CTF came automatically.

When you register baby's birth the child benefit is sorted via that iirc.

bythepowerofgreyskul Thu 31-Jul-08 15:33:18

the midwife will fill in a million forms when your baby arrives, it includes the thing you take to register the babies birth. all those forms get sent off and you then get sent Child benefit forms to be filled in (they back date it to the childs birth date - understanding that it can take some months for parents to get paperwork sorted)

Tax credits stuff gets sent automatically as well

Sidge Thu 31-Jul-08 15:43:20

You can't apply for child benefit until the baby is born and registered, as you need to send them the birth certificate.

You usually get a form from the midwife along with details of how to register the birth.

More info here

The CTF voucher comes automatically once you have applied for child benefit.

You need to phone to apply for Child Tax Credits, they don't do that automatically.

Jane7 Thu 31-Jul-08 15:43:51

thanks for this, so am I right in thinking, I don't have to do anything about it until baby's birth?

Sidge Thu 31-Jul-08 15:45:45

That's right, you can't do anything until the baby has been born and registered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now