Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Dating pregnancy and uterine contractions

(4 Posts)
Cookiemg Wed 30-Jul-08 17:10:49

I would be really grateful if you could help me with two queries.I reckon that I am 3 weeks pregnant as that is when we conceived, in doctor speak does this mean that I am 5 weeks, I find this all confusing.
I too have been having uterine contractions like period pain that seem to move from either left to right side and yesterday felt as though I had a partly inflated balloon inside me. Today there is no achey feeling, is this normal, does it come and go? I had a miscarriage 5 months ago and am scared when I feel things and scared when I don't. Thank you for your help

OrangeCrush Wed 30-Jul-08 18:33:16

Yes, you are 5 weeks pg - don't worry, I am 21 weeks and DH still can't get his head round the numbers bit.

With regards your aches and pains, I had the most awful pains between weeks 5 and 9 where I constantly thought something was going wrong. It mostly happened in the middle of the night and I would wake up nearly in tears it was so painful but wouldn't dare take any pain killers just walk around til they'd eased and sip peppermint tea. It was no wonder I was like a zombie for the first few months beacuse they kept me awake for 2-3 hours a night. Ended up getting really run down trying to carry on as normal. I didn't dare ask anyone about it at first because I was scared of what they might say but when I got ill went to GP and he was lovely and reminded me I had to put the baby first now and slow down a bit. This was brilliant advice - had a week off work to rest and let the virus clear up and have felt fine ever since.

Why don't you talk to your GP or get a MW appointment so you can get some reassurance -you never know it might just be wind or just the normal stretching pains which is what I now think mine was, made worse from being knackered and worried.

Good Luck

SwampsterHasAWarmFuzzy Wed 30-Jul-08 18:37:17

Pregnancies are dated from the first day of your last menstrual period so, yes, you would be about five weeks depending on the length of your cycle.

I had similar pains at around that time. I figured they were probably due to the wee thing implanting. In my case, everything was ok.

thehouseofmirth Wed 30-Jul-08 18:37:34

That all sounds normal at this stage. I had period type pains around the time my period was due and then on and off until about 9 weeks.

You'll probably find you get quite windy and bloated too, especially on the evenings.

They date your pregnancy from the first day of your last period, regardless of cycle length or knowing the date you conceived.

I think we all worry in the early stages, especially if you've already had a miscarriage, but chances are all will be fine this time and once you have your first scan and see all is well you can relax (a bit!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now