Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Anyone registered with the nhs cord blood bank?

(6 Posts)
greenlawn Wed 30-Jul-08 13:02:58

Just wondered - I picked up a leaflet a while ago and have now registered. I've asked a couple of friends and no-one seems to have come across it so I don't know anyone who has actually had the blood taken.

lollipopmother Wed 30-Jul-08 21:40:04

Is this the study where you can donate your placenta after the birth?

pickie Wed 30-Jul-08 21:43:19

yes I did but was told they could neither use the cord or the placenta (different research) as had a homebirth (we only live a 10 minute walk away from hospital so hoped they could use it)

greenlawn Wed 30-Jul-08 22:00:52

Its a scheme where they take cord blood from the placenta and its placed in a central bank for use in disease treatment. Sounds amazing. But it seems not many hospitals are able to offer it and I don't know anyone who has actually done it - so just wondered. Thanks for responding.

4jen Wed 30-Jul-08 22:21:11

Yes I did it. They have to take some blood from you after the actual birth, then they phone you up about a month later and ask general health questions. They have to freeze it for about 5 years I think due to CJD etc before they can use it.

greenlawn Thu 31-Jul-08 08:18:43

Thanks 4jen.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: