Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone registered with the nhs cord blood bank?

(6 Posts)
greenlawn Wed 30-Jul-08 13:02:58

Just wondered - I picked up a leaflet a while ago and have now registered. I've asked a couple of friends and no-one seems to have come across it so I don't know anyone who has actually had the blood taken.

lollipopmother Wed 30-Jul-08 21:40:04

Is this the study where you can donate your placenta after the birth?

pickie Wed 30-Jul-08 21:43:19

yes I did but was told they could neither use the cord or the placenta (different research) as had a homebirth (we only live a 10 minute walk away from hospital so hoped they could use it)

greenlawn Wed 30-Jul-08 22:00:52

Its a scheme where they take cord blood from the placenta and its placed in a central bank for use in disease treatment. Sounds amazing. But it seems not many hospitals are able to offer it and I don't know anyone who has actually done it - so just wondered. Thanks for responding.

4jen Wed 30-Jul-08 22:21:11

Yes I did it. They have to take some blood from you after the actual birth, then they phone you up about a month later and ask general health questions. They have to freeze it for about 5 years I think due to CJD etc before they can use it.

greenlawn Thu 31-Jul-08 08:18:43

Thanks 4jen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now