Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Keytones in urine?

(12 Posts)
monkeybumsmum Mon 28-Jul-08 12:50:14

Am currently 7 1/2 wks pg and have got hyperemesis. When I went to the hospital at the weekend the doctor said I had keytones in my urine. Feel too ill to start googling stuff, just wondered if anyone knew what they are and what it means?

Thanks

bethoo Mon 28-Jul-08 12:53:03

keritones, when you have too much protein in your wee.
eat more carbs i think is the way.
what is hyperemesis? is it sickness?

tutu100 Mon 28-Jul-08 12:53:50

I'm not exactly sure what ketones are, but I have had hyperemesis twice and they use them as an indicator of how dehydrated you are. They are also a sign that you haven't eaten recently.

Don't worry too much about them. I hope you have been prescribed some treatment to try and help with the hyperemesis.

monkeybumsmum Mon 28-Jul-08 12:54:28

is severe sickness, yes. blurgh.

Is it bad for the baby?

witchandchips Mon 28-Jul-08 12:57:26

ketones are produced when your body starts living off its fat stores (basically that it is going into starvation mode). It just means that you cannot keep enough food down to be maintain you and your baby. Hope you and your doctors manage to a diet out for you that you can cope with.
also bumping to see if others will have more hints on types of food that stays down better

bethoo Mon 28-Jul-08 12:57:48

not really, if you are on the atkins diet say where it is high protein it means that the body starts to break down all the carbs in your body, it has been a while since i was on it! may be getting wires crossed here!
i have sickness again now at 30 weeks and the best way to deal wiht it is to snack little meals often. even though some of the things you may want to snack on are nto ideal, it is better to eat something even if it is coated in chocolate!
so nibble on biccies or whatever takes your fancy to help with the sickness and yo may find the keritones are reduced. it is more of a problem for you than the baby as your body will prioritise your babys safety so she/he will get the good stuff while you may go lacking.

littleducks Mon 28-Jul-08 12:58:13

ketones are produced when your body is breaking down fa, so when you are surviving off your fat reserves not thew food you are eating

great if your dieting lousy if due to hyperemesis

have had it for two pregnancies
if you test positive for ketones you get a drip

try and see if there is anything you can eat
with dd i ate avocadoes
with ds creme eggs hmm

if i ate only a bit of these things i would be ok, too much or something else i would vomit

good luck, hope you feel better soon!

littleducks Mon 28-Jul-08 13:02:11

some advice on this thread

zoejeanne Mon 28-Jul-08 13:28:08

AT my last check up I had something (think ketones was what the MW said, but can't remember) which apparently was an indication of a urine infection - she also said to drink lots of water. Hope you feel better soon

Z

bikerunski Mon 28-Jul-08 13:50:25

Poor, poor, poor, poor you. You have my every sympathy.

Hyper - Lots of
Emesis - Vomitting

I had horrible hyperemisis (actually, there can surely be no nice hyperemisis) at the started of this pg and spent 6 weeks in bed, mostly in hospital, mostly on a drip. I couldn't keep a thing down, no food, no water, no anti sickness drugs, couldn't even brush my teeth.

Ketones are produced when you start breaking down body fat in preference to using any other food supply for energy. On the atkisn diet you do this after you've eaten the food you are allowed - this food stops the ketosis being too bad for you. If you are not managing to eat anything, basically you are starving yourself once you have ketones in your wee and it is really bad for you, ketones are toxic in concentration. I believe it is similar biochemistry to a diabetic coma.

Ketosis (having ketones in your wee) quite ofetn coems with a liver and/or kidney and/or urinary tract infection, the symptoms of which include - magically - nausea!

Most hospitals work on the basis that 24 hours of nil by mouth on a drip, and then a further 24 hours of food and drip shoudl knock hyperemis on the head, but this didn't work for me. I didn't find any of the antiemetics (anti sickness) drugs any help unless they sent me to sleep. After 6 weeks it did just stop though.

If you can manage any food or drink at all it will help the ketosis. Towards the end I found that very cold drinks, ice lollies and ice cubes were OK, and I I still munch ice lollies/cubes when I am feeling a bit nauseous now at 33 weeks. codl fizzy water too. Toast and butter was OK too, as long as the toast was hot enough for the butter to melt. A real breakthrough came when I managed jam too! And then, once I was home, I ate a lot of very thin soup. I couldn't cope with any dairy foods at all for some time though, apart from the butter on the toast.

Take a look at the hyperemisis website "Blooming Awful" too. I'll try and find a link.

bikerunski Mon 28-Jul-08 13:53:26

www.hyperemesis.org.uk

Look here

fledtoscotland Mon 28-Jul-08 14:24:50

hope you start to feel better soon.

you would normally get ketones in your urine if you are sick for any reason (i have had them through this pregnancy as i have been sick due to constant heartburn). it just means you are not eating so the body is living off its own stores.

although eating is the last thing on your mind, try to keep drinking (the m/w will measure the specific gravity of your urine to see how dehydrated you are).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now