Talk

Advanced search

Early scans - what to expect?

(6 Posts)
lewpylew Wed 09-Feb-05 09:55:11

I am 6 + 4 weeks pregnant and off to have an early scan tomorrow due to a bit of browny type discharge I have had this week. Not a lot, but it is enough to panic me.

Anyway, just wanted to see what happens at an early scan - will it be external or internal?

Even if just for peace of mind to check pregnancy is viable, not ectopic and in the right place it will be worth it for peace of mind.

Wish me luck!

Laylasmum Wed 09-Feb-05 09:58:43

i would think that they would still do an internal scan at this stage. the sonographer will be looking for a sac of fluid and a heartbeat will be seen as like a light flashing on and off.still vv tiny at this stage.they can also tell if theres been any areas of bleeding which may have caused the discharge. if they do see anything like that they'll probably tell you to go back in a week or so to check its resolving and not getting any bigger11

MistressMary Wed 09-Feb-05 09:58:50

Good luck, hope you get peace of mind.

Lexie100 Wed 09-Feb-05 10:41:41

Hi, I went for an early scan last week. They tried doing it the conventional way but due to me being only 4 weeks did an internal. It's nothing to worry about. They will probably get you to do a urine test and a blood test if they think you are ectopic. This is to measure your HGC levels. I had to have two blood tests 48 hours apart to make sure my HGC levels were rising. They expected the HGC level to go up by 66% to identify a normal pregnancy, thankfully mine went up by 100%. I still have to have another scan tomorrow to make sure i have a sac and baby in the right place.

I also have brown discharge and constant cramp like pain which gests worst at night for some reason. Due to HGC levels they don't think it's ectopic so hopefully symptoms are nothing to worry about.

Good luck.

eidsvold Wed 09-Feb-05 12:01:35

I was about that and had an external scan... discharge as you described. It looked like a bean with a little light bulb inside - heart beating. The doc thought it was probably an implantation bleed.. all was well and now dd1 is 2 1/2.

It can be worrying but wish you all the best for tomorrow.

Leogaela Thu 10-Feb-05 12:43:19

I may be a bit late in posting but... I had a scan at 5 weeks. It is my favourite scan picture of them all as its the only one in which I can see the whole baby - even if it was only 3mm long!

It was an internal scan.

lewpylew - I hope your scan went well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now