Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Did you get stretch marks? Because I have a theory

(96 Posts)
EffiePerine Mon 28-Jul-08 09:00:17

that it's partly dependent on your skin type

me: no stretch marks with DS (put on nearly 3 stone)
my MIL (no relation): no stretch marks with 3 big babies ( 9/10lb +) and she's pretty small

we do have similar skin tone/type, so could it be related? If you didn't get any stretch marks, what type of skin do you have (will reveal mine after survey in true scientific fashion)

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Mon 28-Jul-08 09:08:27

My mum, sis and me all got stretch marks and we all have pale skin. I seem to be the least affected out of all 3 of us and I tan the easiest.

Oh, and we all had 8-9lb babies and we are tall.

kiltycoldbum Mon 28-Jul-08 09:08:54

ive got stretch marks from my first dc all over my boobs, bum, tummy, thighs, backs of knees, hips, everywhere, its awful though thankfully theyre all silver now, with 2nd dc i thankfully didnt get any new ones and my tummy actually looked great all swollen as you couldnt see them anymore! smile i am very pale skinned, my mother never got a single one and had 6 of us, she is very olived skinned, the cow smile

Walnutshell Mon 28-Jul-08 09:12:48

Have got faded stretch marks on my thighs from when I was about 14 but didn't get any on my stomach with ds. I put on almost 2 stone, he weighed 8 12 and I lost all the weight within about 3 weeks.

Skin type - what do you want to know? I'd say I'm a typical blonde - quite pale, reasonable tone, tans OK (except legs, mysteriously, which also are less toned!)

Yes, this sounds very scientific! grin

SqueakyPop Mon 28-Jul-08 09:14:51

I didn't get any pregnancy stretchmarks and I did not use any creams. I just didn't get huge.

I'm not sure about skin type as I do have stretchmarks on my thighs from my adolescent spurt.

SqueakyPop Mon 28-Jul-08 09:14:54

I didn't get any pregnancy stretchmarks and I did not use any creams. I just didn't get huge.

I'm not sure about skin type as I do have stretchmarks on my thighs from my adolescent spurt.

ShowOfHands Mon 28-Jul-08 09:15:58

I have lots. Tummy, bum, thighs, hips, back of knees, boobs...

I have, er, human skin.

EffiePerine Mon 28-Jul-08 09:17:18

by type I meant colour and poss dry/oily etc.

'human skin' pfffft

v scientific you see grin

funnypeculiar Mon 28-Jul-08 09:18:49

AS I understand it, this one has been proved elsewhere by proper scientists and all smile

Fwiw, my mum has very few stretchmarks, as do I (she had 5 pgs, I've had 2). Both of us are petit. Neither of us used much.

What sort of skin info do you want? Medium coloured, tendancy to greasy here <attractive>

ThePettyandIllinformedGoat Mon 28-Jul-08 09:19:33

i didn't get any and i was huge. i am milky blue skinned tendency to dryness.

kazbeth Mon 28-Jul-08 09:19:36

No stretchmarks last time - I have very pale skin normal/dry

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Mon 28-Jul-08 09:19:50

Yes, I had loads from adolescense, I have very dry papery skin and now with my first preg I have awful stretchmarks on the bottom half of my belly. I knew I would

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Mon 28-Jul-08 09:20:28

Oh and I'm very pale.

EffiePerine Mon 28-Jul-08 09:20:43

Has it fp? That'll teach me for not doing the background research (or is the 'it's all genetic' explanation?)

ShowOfHands Mon 28-Jul-08 09:21:13

Okay, my human skin is a bit dry, doesn't tan and I have lots of moles. My Mum has identical skin to me. She had zero stretch marks I had 7 million. I have disproved your theory.

funnypeculiar Mon 28-Jul-08 09:22:07

It is the 'all genetic' story, but I THOUGHT there was a link to skin type too - greasier skin = less prone to stretchmarks - cf wrinkles
Or I might have made that up <helpful>

bethoo Mon 28-Jul-08 09:25:30

my mum was riddled after her first pregnancy and i had none. i am small with pale skin almost to the point it is transparent that is how pale i am!

VinegarTits Mon 28-Jul-08 09:29:56

I didnt get stretch marks, i have very greasy skin, it's like and oil slick in hot weather, both my ds where born in late summer.

girlandboy Mon 28-Jul-08 09:30:55

I didn't get any stretchmarks at all. Last baby was BIG and I was huge, but no stretchmarks.
I am tall, quite oily skin on face but not aware that the rest of me is the same! Very fair skin colour. Didn't use any cream etc.

My mum is opposite to me - short, dry skin and olive skinned.

EffiePerine Mon 28-Jul-08 09:32:52

aha, you see I thought it might be down to having sallow/olive skin (MIL and I are both sallow). but maybe it's oiliness instead, as my skin is on the oily side. Would make sense I suppose.

Of course I may get them anyway with this pg...

WinkyWinkola Mon 28-Jul-08 09:32:59

No stretch marks and fair skin.

But then I am tall (6 ft) and thin with, I suspect, a lot of room in my abdomen for babies (9lbs 9ozs and 8lbs 7ozs so far) so perhaps there isn't too much stress on the skin? Dunno.

What's the theory? Will you bottle it and sell it and make gadz£llions?

WinkyWinkola Mon 28-Jul-08 09:34:00

X posts.

What's sallow skin then? I always thought it described the skin of someone who wasn't very well.

thumbwitch Mon 28-Jul-08 09:34:41

me - no stretch marks, fair freckly skin that tans a little bit, red-blonde hair. not overweight, lost all preg weight 2 weeks after DS born.

sister - baaaad stretch marks, blonde hair, pale-ish skin, not freckly, tans better than me. Overweight before and after pg.

mum - baaaa stetch marks, brown hair, not freckly, tans similar to sister. Overweight, put on a stone after each pg.

Personally I thought it was more to do with taking adequate vitamin/mineral/oil supplements during preg.

EffiePerine Mon 28-Jul-08 09:34:50

yellowish

PixelHerder Mon 28-Jul-08 09:38:48

No stretch marks and milky pale skin which is not particularly oily OR dry I don't think...

though I was expecting to get them as I've got them on my hips and thighs from teenage expansion, and they didn't expand anything like as much as a pregnant tummy hmm - really doesn't make much sense does it grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now