Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Stomach after pregnancy - how long does it take to approach something looking even vaguely normal?

(20 Posts)
FrannyandZooey Sun 27-Jul-08 21:36:25

I know it doesn't just spring back for most people. But I gave birth 9 days ago and my stomach honestly still looks around 7 months pg. It's a really high and firm bump and my belly button still sticks out a mile. With ds1 I just remember having a fattish wobbly tummy for a fair while? This is really different.

I've been examined and scanned (for other reasons) so I know there isn't anything left inside, but what is going on? I asked a midwife who laughed and said my stomach muscles would be very lax this time. But you're not telling me this is my stomach sticking out like this, surely? I am getting a bit freaked out by it....

ButterflyMcQueen Sun 27-Jul-08 21:36:53

lol franny i feel your pain

isaidno Sun 27-Jul-08 21:39:49

I felt exactly like this 3 weeks ago. I was getting upset that the postaman was asking me how long I had to go.

I had my 3rd child nearly 6 weeks ago and my tummy has now gone down alot, but is quite firm not wobbly. My belly button has only just started to go back to an inny. I am only about half a stone over my ideal weight.

Time will tell!

RuthT Sun 27-Jul-08 21:39:59

Well I am 17 weeks post preg and someone asked when it was due the other day blush

FrannyandZooey Sun 27-Jul-08 21:43:50

no seriously do you think it is normal? I'm not just saying it to be ha ha aren't I fat

I am honestly bewildered by it - what is making it stick out likt that?

ButterflyMcQueen Sun 27-Jul-08 21:47:34

i just googled my BMI ( prior to this thread) and it was not that bad but my belly looks shit

today i gardened all day in the hope some muscle tone would pull the b*&^er in!

Weight does 'drop off' around this time franny - i am 13 days in and it is slow but sure better each day!

don't fret!

RuthT Sun 27-Jul-08 21:47:48

9 months of pregnancy?

I think it is mostly the rib cage and the pelvis which takes about 6 months to fully go back to previous size.

You may find it easier if you only have to lose half a stone.

I do also think it takes longer second time round the ligaments def stretch more, my feet are flatter this time and I can't zip trousers up not just because of fat but hips not back into old position

isaidno Sun 27-Jul-08 21:50:25

My mw said it takes longer for your stomach muscles to knit back together after each pregnancy; so I'm guessing it's all your insides not moved back to their proper positions yet and not having that natural corset effect decent tummy muscles give you.

FrannyandZooey Sun 27-Jul-08 21:53:01

no it isn't fat
i mean i have put on plenty of fat but this isn't fat, it is hard
and it isn't my pelvis or ribcage, it's from right under my breasts and sticks out exactly like a late pg belly
bizarre

FrannyandZooey Sun 27-Jul-08 21:53:53

yes isaidno it probably is 'insides' as well as tummy flab
bleeurgh what a thought

wrinklytum Sun 27-Jul-08 21:57:20

With number 2 it took a while-the mw said my stomach muscles had separated by about 3 inches apparently.Don't ask me how it all gets back together but it does.I am now back to size 10 (dd is 2 and a half,though!!)

Congratulations on your new baby

rozzyraspberry Sun 27-Jul-08 22:03:57

I had ds3 almost 6 months ago. I'm more or less down to my pre-pregnancy weight now but my stomach below my belly button looks horrific - 3 x stretched skin. I can't remember it ever being that bad after ds2 and am beginning to think it'll never improvesad.

FrannyandZooey Sun 27-Jul-08 22:04:55

thank you
I am aware this is a stupid thing to be asking about btw
I just honestly don't understand it and tbh am fed up of having no clothes to wear
my maternity clothes look worse now than when I was 2 weeks overdue

RuthT Sun 27-Jul-08 22:10:30

Oh and I also think that second time round you are even more impatient to get back to normal.

LaDiDaDi Sun 27-Jul-08 22:13:56

Missed that you had had your lo Franny.
Congratulations!
Have you done a birth announcement?

SpookyMadMummy Sun 27-Jul-08 22:24:00

Have a look at this link - tupler technique I am not sure how soon post-partum you can start, but these exercises are specifically designed for 'Mummy Tummy'.
Theres a link on that page to the exercises.

SpookyMadMummy Sun 27-Jul-08 22:26:51

sorry exercise link here blush

alittleteapot Sun 27-Jul-08 22:34:23

i was like this then as well and felt quite down about it, now a year later just a gentle slender curve (and a bit of saggy skin unfortunately) Try and get GP or women's health physio to measure the gap between your stomach muscles. it needs to close up and then you can do a bit of exercise.

Congratulations on the birth smile

PhDlifeNeedsaNewLife Sun 27-Jul-08 22:39:24

ds is 15m and I still have a huuuuge tummy. think it is fat though - am always starving hmm

PhDlifeNeedsaNewLife Sun 27-Jul-08 22:43:40

hmm at "work up to 100 reps 3-5 times a day" (in the link)

do they not understand what having a baby entails?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now