Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

can i ask for an induction?

(7 Posts)
Natalie1984 Sun 27-Jul-08 19:02:51

im 39 wks today and tomorrow im at the midwifes i want to ask her if its ok to be induced shortly after my due date if i havent gone in to labour already this is bcoz i have SPD and a hernia and i really dont want them makeing me go 2 wks over, i can barely walk and im in constant pain, what does everyone think? do u think they will let me or make me go 2 wks over? ur probley thinking why am i worried now ive still got a week but im seeing my midwife tomorrow and wanna ask her plus i dont find her easy to talk to. can anyone help?????

oopsacoconut Sun 27-Jul-08 19:15:29

You can always ask and they can always say No.

In the adjoining PCT to ours they make an appointment at 38 weeks to discuss induction!!!! You see the consultant at 38+5 and decide on an induction date then. Which kinda scares me but with valid reasons like yours I can't see why they would say no.

mamafelix Mon 28-Jul-08 17:49:00

A word of caution for you, Natalie...I was in a similar situation to yours at 40 weeks and totally desperate to get the thing out of me; couldn't walk, desperately uncomfortable, etc. But there was no physical sign of anything happening any time soon.

I managed nonetheless to persuade them to induce me. BIG mistake! It was absolutely agonising forced labour and it went on for 20 hours and then of course I ended up needing an emergency c-section - which apparently is quite common after induction (I didn't know this).

When it was all over I realised that the baby just wasn't ready to come out and forcing it just created a lot of unnecessary pain. I really should have waited until they told me it was actually necessary to have an induction.

So, my advice would be by all means discuss it as an option but be a little bit wary of diving in there because it's all getting too much. You might regret it when you've had agonising contractions for 18 hours and you're only 3cm dilated!

Good luck though, whatever happens.

Natalie1984 Mon 28-Jul-08 20:47:06

thank u hun, ill discuss it tomorrow and see what she says, i think ive been haveing early labour symptoms anyway but im not sure as its my first. i have done my reasearch on induction and i do know that what happened to u can happen and does quite alot but ive also been reading the other side of things to where people have been fine so im still in 2 minds, ill speak to my consultant ho and see what she thinks. im just so fed up, u know sad

mamafelix Tue 29-Jul-08 11:25:13

Totally sympathise!! Wishing you all the best

Tapster Tue 29-Jul-08 12:29:12

Would not wish an induction onn anybody to be honest. You have a max of 3 weeks and much more likely less than that I would hold on despite the pain. I had a horrible induction after my waters broke but nothing happened.

Natalie1984 Tue 29-Jul-08 13:49:51

well i saw the consultant and i didnt even have to asked it what they already planned after reading my notes so now booked in 4 sunday but she thinks ill naturallt b4 then and she performed a sweep,

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: