Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Herpes/cold sore on lip. Can I take Aciclovir stada/zovirax??

(8 Posts)
Alexa808 Sun 27-Jul-08 09:28:36

Just saw that I'm getting a cold sore on upper lip. Can I put Aciclovir (same ingredients=the generic of Zovirax) on it??? Keep getting confusing answers from internet search.

Please fellow mums and mums-to-be, help me!

LynetteScavo Sun 27-Jul-08 09:31:45

I would!

CantSleepWontSleep Sun 27-Jul-08 09:34:55

I am using zovirax on mine at the moment. Know several people who have asked GPs or pharmacists if it's ok, and most have been told yes.

Alexa808 Sun 27-Jul-08 09:39:01

Hello LynetteS, hello CSWS. Thanks a lot. Am 32 weeks now...yay!! Will put it on and hope it disappears ASAP.

Haven't been on Oct thread for a while...must go and check what's going on...

waitinggirl Sun 27-Jul-08 09:54:59

i was told by pharmacist i shouldn't use aciclovir, but i was in the first trimester and she was probably trying to cover her back. the obstetrician said it should be fine, the only thing is they haven't done extensive trials on pregnant women (understandably v few people willing to be guinea pigs), so no evidence it is safe, but also no evidence at all it is a problem.

however i've stuck to the patches which, although expensive, seem to work really well if you can get over the feeling you've got a plaster on your face.

it is horrible, but a sign that the hormones are working - i had 3 in 4 weeks (normally get one every 18 months).

Alexa808 Sun 27-Jul-08 10:29:19

waitinggirl, hormones? are you saying I got this bc I'm pregnant? Thought it was stress-related. Haven't seen the plasters here (Singapore) but will keep my eyes open tomorrow. My feet are swollen and there's no way anyone can lure me away from my PC and Tv... grin

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sun 27-Jul-08 11:05:02

Midwife said aciclovir is fine.

Alexa808 Sun 27-Jul-08 11:13:04

Thanks kat. Am relaxing now. 2 1/2 more months to go, can't wait. I'm always getting paranoid about what to eat and drink and so on...

Many thanks ladies!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now