Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

polyhydramnios

(14 Posts)
mellywell Thu 24-Jul-08 23:29:57

I have been told today i have it at 36 and a half weeks.I completely freeked and googled all afternoon,big mistake indeed.I have only felt better since finding this site and reading everybody elses experience of it. so thank you everyone for your honesty. i cant tell you how relieved i feel.

Mamazon Thu 24-Jul-08 23:33:31

im so glad you have found stories from people with real life experiance. i was told by my midwife that she thought i may have it whislt pg with my DD. it scared me half to death.

I hope that all goes well for these next few weeks and you let us know how you and baby get on.

mellywell Thu 24-Jul-08 23:49:34

hi mamazon,im new to this discussion stuff,that was my first message after registering with mumsnet.I am carrying a boy. Ive got a little girl,shes 4 and a half. i know the liquor vlume was high with her,they didnt know today how high her volume was because they never recorded it last pregnancy.i had to have her induced they just kept saying she was a big baby, she weighed 8lbs 1 and a half ounces. i am only 5ft.my mum had 3 c sections with all 3 children,shes 4 ft 11.I had a high triple test result also with my boy,Lewis too. had a nightmare googling with that info,have been beside myself with most of this pregnancy, other than that its been fine.my husband is away,he comes back tmoro,hes a worrier too. im not going to tell him everything ive read on google because hed set me off again. thank you for your reply,it is very much appreciated.

mellywell Fri 25-Jul-08 19:12:05

hello its mellywell again,still worried about polyhydramnios.has anyone had it during pregnancy and given birht to a healthy baby,still driving myself crazy.was in bed really late and up at 7.30am.

itati Fri 25-Jul-08 19:14:08

I had this.

Not dx until theatre was flooded.

Baby is now 7.

Feel free to ask any questions.

mellywell Fri 25-Jul-08 19:20:11

hiya itati,im new to this chatting.so im not sure about the abbreviations,what does dx mean? so everything was ok,its driving me crazy,ive tried to put it to the back of my mind,just cant.thank you for your reply,it really means alot.

itati Fri 25-Jul-08 20:16:49

dx = diagnosed.

itati Fri 25-Jul-08 20:19:12

DS1 was flat on delivery.

He took a breath in but none out. He had to have help but he was fine after a few hours and is fine now.

chutneymary Fri 25-Jul-08 20:39:03

mellywell, I've had it 2x and am fully expecting to get it this time (am 20 weeks). Apparently 65% of women who get it just make excess fluid for no reason. Many of the rest have gest diabetes and a few sadly have it for more difficult reasons. DON#T google though, or you'll scare yourself half to death again.

With DD1 my consultant said I only needed to worry about 2 things: if my waters went I had to go to hospital ASAP by ambulance if needed and if I felt the cord in my fanny after my waters went, had to dial 999 then get on my hands and knees with my head down and bum in the air. Takes the pressure off the cord and you have time to get to hosp and have your section (which you would need if your cord prolapsed). As it was, I was induced at 40+12 and DD1 was fine. Huge at 9lb 13 but fine.

DD2 - born by planned section as transverse lie and also fine.

The cons said that when my waters went it would be "spectacular". She wasn't wrong. I had to vacate the rooom and move so the cleaners could mop as it was everywhere.

Don't worry. You'll be fine. Any Qs, please ask.

chutneymary Fri 25-Jul-08 20:39:03

mellywell, I've had it 2x and am fully expecting to get it this time (am 20 weeks). Apparently 65% of women who get it just make excess fluid for no reason. Many of the rest have gest diabetes and a few sadly have it for more difficult reasons. DON#T google though, or you'll scare yourself half to death again.

With DD1 my consultant said I only needed to worry about 2 things: if my waters went I had to go to hospital ASAP by ambulance if needed and if I felt the cord in my fanny after my waters went, had to dial 999 then get on my hands and knees with my head down and bum in the air. Takes the pressure off the cord and you have time to get to hosp and have your section (which you would need if your cord prolapsed). As it was, I was induced at 40+12 and DD1 was fine. Huge at 9lb 13 but fine.

DD2 - born by planned section as transverse lie and also fine.

The cons said that when my waters went it would be "spectacular". She wasn't wrong. I had to vacate the rooom and move so the cleaners could mop as it was everywhere.

Don't worry. You'll be fine. Any Qs, please ask.

nixpix Fri 25-Jul-08 22:12:15

Have just joined mumsnet and found this thread. I'm 34+5 and was diagnosed last week with it too. I was measuring 5 weeks ahead on fundal height so was sent for a growth scan. It revealed a slightly larger than average baby (70th centile) although an abdominal circumference on the 95th centile. My Amniotic Fluid Index is 25.7 (the doc said mild) Am having a rescan on Thursday to check fluid levels again. Baby is lying transverse still and they are talking ECV if he/she hasn't moved by then.
Have had a GTT test and that was negative. Also had a TORCH test to test for viral infections and luckily all negative too.
I too googled it and crapped myself about the birth defects. Was hoping for a water birth, but I rather think this will be out the equation now.
Would love to hear your experiences/symptoms and how things progress with you.

Portofino Fri 25-Jul-08 22:18:09

I had it - everything was fine!

Portofino Fri 25-Jul-08 22:20:33

re. itati - everyhting WAS flooded. I felt a bit like a human pump- gushing with every contraction. I must admit it made me laugh - I guess that is unusual during you r average labour...?

mellywell Fri 25-Jul-08 22:39:42

thank you to you all for your responses,honestly i feel so much better now.im sorry but i laughed atyours,chutneymary. i was also compelled to read it to my husband he also found it amusing.it made light of an awful situation and the awful way i have been feeling since yesterday morning at 10.10am.seriously though thank you all so much for taking the time to share your experiences with me,it has really helped.will keep you posted.take care all..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now