Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Am 32 weeks pregnant and GP says I have got viral tonsiltitis.......

(8 Posts)
becaroo Thu 24-Jul-08 19:13:37

....have had it since sunday and am feeling pretty rubbish tbh.

One tonsil is a lot larger than the other and has got white spots/blisters type things on it and I have bad earache too (no fever though).

Not getting much sleep and obviously can only take paracetamol (which I dont find that helpful).

Any tips???? Or should I go back to GP?

PetitFilou1 Thu 24-Jul-08 19:52:53

If you've got white spots that would indicate bacterial infection rather than viral (disclaimer I am not medically qualified!) but ds had this recently and he got antibiotics. Go back and see another GP and ask them to check again.

nickytwotimes Thu 24-Jul-08 19:59:09

Agree with petitfilou. WHite spots can mean bacterial. He/she should at least swab you.

There are gargley things you can take - ask phaarmacist if they are ok in pregnancy - i think they might be.

MiniMarmite Thu 24-Jul-08 20:12:25

Agree with others re bacteria. Gargling warm salt water will probably help a bit in the meantime (need to do several times a day)...

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Fri 25-Jul-08 08:00:28

I've had tonsillitis several times and viral does give you white spots. My GP prescribed me anti-bios when he was sure it was viral and as he thought they did nothing (But I really wanted to try!)

becaroo Fri 25-Jul-08 12:40:08

Kat2907...did the antibiotics help with the viral tonsiltitis??

PetitFilou1 Fri 25-Jul-08 15:35:40

Becaroo they won't help if it is viral as they have no effect on viruses (hence docs being asked to stop giving antibiotics for colds, coughs and eararches as it doesn't work and just promotes antibiotic resistant strains of illnesses) Here's hoping you feel better...

becaroo Fri 25-Jul-08 17:07:35

Hello all...thanks for your posts.

Been back to a different GP this afternoon and he gave me antibiotics straight away.

I am allergic to penecillin so took a while to find one I could take, especially wih being pregnant too.

Fingers crossed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now