Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

can someone tell me what paperwork etc my MW SHOULD have done for me?

(14 Posts)
mad4mybaby Thu 24-Jul-08 16:10:03

am 22 weeks pg and just wondering what i should have been given. I know i dont have the maternity exemption card for free prescriptions. Is there anything else she hasnt done? She is pretty rubbish and unreliable and want to make sure whats going on with everyone else! Im not working so not needing anything for work related stuff

PetitFilou1 Thu 24-Jul-08 16:49:24

You have to ask for the exemption card form - doc's receptionist should be able to help.

crokky Thu 24-Jul-08 16:52:37

You have to apply for the maternity exemption card - it is worth it for free dental treatment and prescriptions. At my surgery, only midwives give it out.

Get her to do a MATB1 so you can give to employer for your maternity leave.

As long as she fills in your hand held notes, I think that's OK.

notcitrus Thu 24-Jul-08 16:54:04

The MatB1 is the official 'this woman is pregnant' certificate - you'll need it for claiming maternity benefits.

They give them to you sometime after 20 weeks but for some reason only one is ever allowed to be issued, so my hospital never gave them until you asked. The midwife then told me to photocopy it in case it got lost.

My GP did the paperwork for prescriptons/dental stuff - if you phone your GP someone should be able to do that.

crokky Thu 24-Jul-08 16:57:50

notcitrus - my midwife had a pad of MATB1s. My DH had to give mine to his employer to get his paternity leave sorted out. He lost it, so the midwife wrote another. He lost it again so she wrote me a THIRD one! How bizarre you were told only one can be issued - they are just like notelets.

mad4mybaby Thu 24-Jul-08 17:52:35

so because im not working its just the maternity exemptions that i need?

Sidge Thu 24-Jul-08 17:55:10

I never received an exemption certificate despite my midwife filling in the paperwork. I just ticked the box marked exempt on any prescriptions anyway, as if they query it I had other proof of pregnancy and birth.

PetitFilou1 Thu 24-Jul-08 18:04:46

Yes mad4 - and in my experience (3 pregnancies) they don't give it to you unless you ask so don't be too hard on your mw!

PetitFilou1 Thu 24-Jul-08 18:06:40

ooh actually no, you might still need to ask for the MATB1 as you will still be entitled to the very basic mat pay from the govt I think (£100 a week or something - taxed) - not sure how long it goes on for. Hang on...

PetitFilou1 Thu 24-Jul-08 18:06:40

ooh actually no, you might still need to ask for the MATB1 as you will still be entitled to the very basic mat pay from the govt I think (£100 a week or something - taxed) - not sure how long it goes on for. Hang on...

PetitFilou1 Thu 24-Jul-08 18:09:40

Sorry for some reason can't cut and paste the link but google Maternity Allowance. Depending on your situation you might be entitled to that and you might need the MATB1 form to get it.

mad4mybaby Thu 24-Jul-08 18:10:32

i doubt we'd be entitled to anything. We dont get any benefit just the statutory child tax?

PortAndLemon Thu 24-Jul-08 18:12:04

More than one MATB1 can be issued, but after the first one they are supposed to write/stamp "DUPLICATE" on it.

I've never got a MATB1 until 28 week appointment, although admittedly have never asked for one -- they seem to give them out routinely at 28 weeks though.

The exemption thing in theory your GP can/should do when you confirm pregnancy; around here midwife only needs to do it if your GP forgot.

PetitFilou1 Thu 24-Jul-08 18:16:02

Mad4 You don't need to be claiming benefits but you do need to have worked within a certain time period prior to becoming pregnant. Look it up! You may as well claim it if you're entitled to it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now