Talk

Advanced search

sickness bug or food poisoning....and should I see the GP?

(7 Posts)
LackaDAISYcal Thu 24-Jul-08 16:09:21

I have been sick today with diahorrea accompanied by horrible stomach cramps, pain around the kidneys and muscle cramps/aches and pains and feel as weak as a piece of limp lettuce. I'm 25 weeks pregnant.

I'm not sure if this is just a bug and will pass in a day or two, or whether it is something I've eaten. I'm the only one suffering and had something different for lunch to the rest of the family yesterday.

I'm feeling pretty sorry for myself and not sure whether to bother the doctor or not.

I'm meant to be off on holiday tomorrow as well and haven't had the energy to pack sad

LackaDAISYcal Thu 24-Jul-08 16:26:22

self absorbed miserable bump sad

becaroo Thu 24-Jul-08 16:39:03

Oh you poor thing...I have got a throat virus at the mo and its making me miserable so I can empathise sad

Have you got a headache? IME, food poisoning is normally accompanied by a headache.

dinkystinky Thu 24-Jul-08 16:42:48

Call the doctor - for your own peace of mind if nothing else.

Mke sure you take it really easy - drink lots and lots of fluids and, if you feel up to eating, have only really simple easily digestible food (e.g. dry toast). Hope you feel better soon.

PetitFilou1 Thu 24-Jul-08 16:47:22

I had d&v last weekend (am 35 weeks pregnant) but it was self limiting and only lasted 24 hours. I couldn't eat for a day afterwards and didn't feel better for 3 days.

I've also had (in the past) full on food poisoning that lasted a week and left me confined to bed. I suspect that was probably salmonella or campylobacter (?sp)

If it was me, I would see the GP if it lasted more than 48 hours. Here's hoping you are going on holiday in the UK and can see a local doc if necessary. Make sure you keep drinking even if you can't eat. Sugary drinks will help. I know how you feel!

Hannah81 Thu 24-Jul-08 16:53:04

i had food poisoning once - campylobacter - from a restaurant (new owners now) - but i didn't have any headaches. it wont hurt to at least ring your gp. or maybe look on the NHS direct website - actually i just looked and the site is down at the moment, but their phone number is 0845 4647 - they will be able to advise you on what you can take - make sure you drink plenty of fluids. hope your feeling better soon.
x

LackaDAISYcal Thu 24-Jul-08 17:37:33

oh, thank you all smile <feels a little bit better>

no headache, just feeling miserable and crap with no strength and really crampy tummy; legs feel like they are about to collapse under me when I stand up.

We are holidaying in the UK, and it's only about a two hour drive so if it came to it I could come home I suppose.

Am sitting with my feet up as per advice of DrInternet, but I'm sure DH thinks I'm just making excuses for not having done all the packing blush

Might call NHS Direct and see what they say, and if no better by Saturday I'll go and see a doctor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now