Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Bodycombat during pregnancy?

(8 Posts)
dinkystinky Thu 24-Jul-08 12:44:07

Have been doing bodycombat for past year. Am now nearly 10 weeks pregnant - have continued doing it but made it less high impact and ensure I take lots of drinks and dont get too overheated. Does anyone know if its safe to continue doing it when I hit the second trimester?

bundle Thu 24-Jul-08 12:46:34

sounds hideous, couldn't you do something else?

dinkystinky Thu 24-Jul-08 12:48:30

Am planning on doing pregnancy yoga and continuing with pilates in second trimester but actually quite enjoy the boxing work in bodycombat (used to do kickboxing before got pregnant with DS and feels like kickboxing-lite) - however, if it isnt safe to continue, would definitely stop it.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Thu 24-Jul-08 13:09:16

does it use your abs much? are you likely to get kicked in the stomach?
If yes, then stop it.

wombleprincess Thu 24-Jul-08 13:23:27

27 weeks and still doing body attack, allbeit modified. I found your body very quickly tells you what to do and what not to do in a weird sort of way. went through an "absolutely knackered" patch 14-18 weeks where i was too tired to do anything but bounced back.

teacher should help you out with some modified moves. and she may have a week where she refuses to teach you any more, mine said 36 weeks.

planning on doing it ableit modified until i dont feel like it..

dinkystinky Thu 24-Jul-08 15:04:34

Thanks Wombleprincess - will speak to instructor about modified moves. She's said its ok to continue, in low impact way, for as long as I fell comfortable doing so.

tangarine Thu 24-Jul-08 15:08:39

I kept going with tae kwondo until 6 months. The main thing I found was that my centre of balance changed. As long as you don't overdo it and you make sure you listen to your body you should be fine.

ceebee74 Thu 24-Jul-08 15:12:35

Dinky - same as Womble - am now 22 weeks pg and have been doing Body Attack (which I believe is similarish) at least twice a week throughout as I had done pre-pg (I actually found it helped with the early pg nausea once I managed to drag myself there!). I pretty much continued as normal up until about 14 weeks then I started doing low-impact jacks/jumps but did most of everything else (apart from the abs track which I sit out). Once I hit 20 weeks, running round the room became a bit hard so now I just jog on the spot in a corner during that track - so I am gradually slowing down but the instructors are all absolutely fine with me continuing to do it and the MW said as long as it is something you have done regularly, there is no reason to stop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now