Advanced search

MAT b1 form - what else apart from SMP?

(17 Posts)
tostaky Thu 24-Jul-08 11:26:28

What other benefits/ discounts we can get from our MAT B1?

I'm getting vouchers for real nappies for london
i know south west train upgarde to 1st class women with a MAT B1

what other freebies/discounts can we get?

hannah001 Thu 24-Jul-08 12:33:46

That's bizarre - I honestly just thought it was the form for your employer to reclaim SMP - I didn't think it could be used for anything else. Why can't they use the NHS exhemption card for everything else - that would make lots more sense!

Roskva Thu 24-Jul-08 12:45:17

Your DH/DP will also need it for statutory paternity leave and pay.

LackaDAISYcal Thu 24-Jul-08 12:48:31

I can send a copy to my mortgage provider to get a six month mortgage payment holiday.

Leenie Thu 24-Jul-08 18:20:18

I am probably telling you all something you probably know about, but i have only recently found out that some women who work can still apply for the surestart £500.00 maternity grant. (if you are eligible for WTC and CTC, )
Unsurprisingly this is not advertised !
but i applied last week and received it this week, believe me £500 came in soo handy it was actually a god send smile especially as i never knew i was entitled in the first place .

star6 Thu 24-Jul-08 18:50:41

LackaDAISYcal - is that for all mortgages or just yours?????? WOW that would make a difference!!! And di dyou hvae to have your mortgage for a certain number of years before getting that?

mad4mybaby Thu 24-Jul-08 18:54:16

ive started a thread about forms etc in pg, what is this surestart?? How do you apply and are we all able to get it??

Leenie Thu 24-Jul-08 19:11:19

Hi M4MB, its on the surestart website, .it tells you how to apply and you can also download the application form online. in my case i work 20hrs per week, so my CTC is higher, so i qualified. hope this is helpful.

mad4mybaby Thu 24-Jul-08 19:21:27

sorry im hijacking but i was just on DWP website and one of the criterias is you/partner have to receive income support. Sounds so stupid but i dont know if we do. We have to seperate payments come in 1 is the same everyone gets and the 2nd is quite a low amount i think the one based on how much you earn..

Leenie Thu 24-Jul-08 19:35:32

Hi Again, you definately don't have to be on income support, i work and in addition recieve WTC and CTC , i do not recieve any other benefits, the DWP advertise it because if you are on I/S or J/S you are definately entitled, i also always assumed it was only for people who don't work. if you work it depends on your income, i have two children and i get £150 (approx) combined per week in CTC and WTC, when i called Tax credits helpline to ask them, they told me that because i receive the higher element of CTC i qualified. there are about 5 or 6 different criteria, you only need to meet one of them, try the sure start website smile

LackaDAISYcal Thu 24-Jul-08 19:47:02

star6; it's a flexible mortgage from Northern Rock the government and the only criteria is that you need to have six months payments before you can do it. We are about to take advantage of it again; although it will have set us back two years on our mortgage. Still it helps in the short term!

iheartsunsets Thu 24-Jul-08 19:47:59

I wish I had known that

mad4mybaby Thu 24-Jul-08 21:13:00

sorry again hijack but we're with northern rock for last 18 months, i know we can take 1 months payment holiday but it doesnt mention 6 months anywhere. How did you find that out and is it any type? We have a fixed one with them

LackaDAISYcal Thu 24-Jul-08 21:15:04

not sure mad4, it was DH that sorted it out. call them and ask. We can do the one month thing as well though. I think it might be because it's a flexible mortgage, but I'm not sure <crap with finances emoticon>

mad4mybaby Thu 24-Jul-08 21:22:50

me too! I leave all that stuff to my dh too! Esp any important things now being pg i just forget everything and end up making random things up!

PhoebeLaura Fri 25-Jul-08 10:58:04

LackaDAISYcal - thankyou thankyou thankyou! I saw your post about taking a mortgage break, called our mortgage provider (Halifax) and it's all very straightforward and they're sending the application forms in the post.It's going to really get us out of a fix smile!
The only slight catch is that any interest that accrues over the 6 months is paid back at the SVR (standard variable rate) and not the rate you were on before. However, you will revert back to the rate you were on once the break is over. Also, the interest payments get rolled into your total and paid back over the course of the loan so you have to pay more each month once the 6 months break is up.
Still, it works for us. We're on a standard 2 year fix btw and we are allowed to take anything between 1 and 6 months. I think you have to have had a mortgage for a few months and not missed any payments.
Hurray for Mumsnet!

babylove123 Fri 25-Jul-08 11:09:42

Just FYI for some people. My MatB1 is going to my company's accountants to sort out my SMP. They're accepting a copy not the original so i can keep it........just to let you know incase others need to keep theirs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now