Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Nature's nest

(22 Posts)
heron22 Wed 23-Jul-08 13:43:06

hi has anyone used this as bed for their newborn? it is supposed to be from newborn to 12 months.

http://www.amby.co.uk

thanks

angel1976 Wed 23-Jul-08 14:10:01

I used mine from day 3 (day 1 and 2 were spent sleeping on DH and myself!). I use it with the snuggler (DS was just under 7lbs when he was born). My LO slept very well in it from then on!

I may be interested in selling mine if you are interested as he's moved into a cot early (5 months - only because we went overseas and I couldn't take the Amby with me so we transitioned him). I've got everything - stand, the nest, snuggler, 2 mattresses (one for when you switch to heavy duty spring), 2 springs (one heavy duty), one mattress cover and 2 sheets. Lots of extras! And in blue by the way... One of the sheets' band has snapped but everything else is in really good condition and I've washed and ironed the lot!

Ax

angelineradley at yahoo dot com

LadySweet Wed 23-Jul-08 14:12:04

Hello, I saw one of these on tv recently and they look great My baby is due Sept so can't advise as to how they are but am lurking with interest One point that is making me think I won't buy one is when I had my appointment with the nursery advisor at john lewis and was looking at cots that rock, she said that she wouldnt advise going for one, as when babies get used to rocking to sleep it can be quite difficult to get them to sleep without rocking, and this would perhaps be the same?

tokentotty Wed 23-Jul-08 14:14:35

I used one of these from about a month old I think and my son was very, very happy in it. I think it was absolutely lovely and am definitely going to be using it again for my next one so afraid am not selling yet. Plus, as a little extra you can get a bouncer that attaches to the frame instead of the hammock and he loved that too ! A definite YES vote from me.

heron22 Wed 23-Jul-08 14:14:58

hi lady, that is also a concern of mine that once they get used to the rocking motion...but i think it would be a price i will be willing to pay to get some sleep, esp during after birth. i am having a c-section, so it will be exhausting trying to recover!

heron22 Wed 23-Jul-08 14:15:31

hi angel, how much are you selling yours for?

tokentotty Wed 23-Jul-08 14:17:08

I had a c-section too and it was easier getting the baby in and out of the hammock than a cot. As for the rocking, I just put him down and left him to sleep without moving him deliberately. If he woke up having lost his dummy or something I'd just pop it back in and then give him a little nudge so he moved for a short while but never rocked him constantly.

heron22 Wed 23-Jul-08 14:18:52

hhi token, i am concerned that the baby might fall out? was that ever a concern in reality? also how long did you baby sleep in it for? until how much months? thanks !

heron22 Wed 23-Jul-08 14:20:08

hi token, thats a good idea. how long did your baby sleep in it for?

kazbeth Wed 23-Jul-08 14:29:16

I had one of these. She only managed to sleep in it until 6 months though as she used to struggle to turn over. I thought this might be why she was waking up a lot at night so moved her into her cot at 6 months but turned out it had nothing to do with it so wish I'd kept her in longer. It's really easy to put up and down so is good for travelling with as well.

I wouldn't bother buying a lot of the extras though - I just used normal flat cot sheets and tucked them right under. I do wish I'd bought an extra mattress cover though (no idea if they sell these) as if it gets wet you can stick it into the machine and wash it but then have to dry it quickly for that night.

When she woke at night I could just reach over and bounce her gently which seemed to help. The baby can't fall out as they are quite snuggle up inside it - it would be like trying to get out of a deep hammock which is difficult for an adult let alone a baby that has no coordination.

heron22 Wed 23-Jul-08 14:45:33

hi kaz, thanks for your reply
i feel reassured and i think i am going to get one. though hubby is not completely sold on the idea! but then he is not going to be the one getting up to soothe a crying babe!

when you moved your DD into cot, did she miss the rocking motion of the nest?

TillyScoutsmum Wed 23-Jul-08 14:47:24

Hi - we had one and dd loved it. We moved her into her cot at about 9 months (but she was/is a very big baby)

Would really recommend them. Great as travel cots as well

tokentotty Wed 23-Jul-08 14:47:33

Honestly, the thought of him falling out was NOT one I had. We used it for a good few months and only moved him out of it and into his cot as he was a noisy sleeper and needed to go in his own room for our sanity ! We didn't use it in his room as there wasn't the space for it but by then it was downstairs being used as a bouncer anyway.

heron22 Wed 23-Jul-08 14:49:56

hi token, did your DS have trouble getting used to the cot when you moved him? ie, the cot does not bounce

heron22 Wed 23-Jul-08 14:51:02

hi tilly, thanks for your reply. so many good reviews on natures nest. i will have to convince DH !

tokentotty Wed 23-Jul-08 14:59:14

Nope, not a peep to be honest which was a relief. Think it all hangs on whether they're good sleepers by nature to be honest. If they're non-settlers then it probably wouldn't matter where you put them as they're going to cry unfortunately.

heron22 Wed 23-Jul-08 15:17:13

hi token, you're right.

thank you for all your comments. i am going to get one - not yet - i am only 13 weeks!

also looking at this thing called a belly belt. it allows pregnant women to wear the pre-pregnant clothes. for me, my jeans wont do up anymore, this belly belt extends the waistline. anyone used it?

tokentotty Wed 23-Jul-08 15:28:44

Oh Heron, we must be due around the same time then ? I'm having this one first thing in the New Year. Can't wait to 'refill' my nature's nest. Haven't personally used the belly belts. Had a friend who just used an elastic hair band tied round the button to hold her jeans up....

heron22 Wed 23-Jul-08 18:13:12

hi token, i am due end of jan, so you must be 17 weeks now? i am 13 weeks. how is your pregnancy coming along? mine is not too bad

abidgegirl Wed 23-Jul-08 19:33:41

I have one and will def be using it this time round as well. No problems with transitioning DS into his cot (which I did at around 6 months when he went into his own room) - I put a lambskin under his cot sheet to make it a bit more snuggly and didn't look back. By the time he moved into his cot he seemed happy to have extra space to stretch out and rocking wasn't so much of an issue as it was when he was a newborn with colic, etc.

kazbeth Wed 23-Jul-08 19:35:21

We didn't perceive any problems with moving her into the cot but then it's a bit hard to say as she was a bad sleeper anyway. It didn't make it worse put it that way.

I have one of those belly belt things and find it's a bit crap. I've not really used it. I didn't like the feeling of having my trousers half open. The belly bands look a bit better - they are wide bands that cover the top of your trousers and fill in the gap of your tops too if they are too short. Or you could just do that tokentotty's suggestion.

angel1976 Wed 23-Jul-08 20:57:44

Hi,

I probably would be looking for £100 excluding delivery (I think I can get it couriered for £18). The whole package is worth over £200. I got it off another lady off Mumsnet and only used it for less than 4 months solely because we transitioned him early as we went overseas and there was no way I was going to take the whole thing there (though it's fine to transport it around in a car) as I was travelling alone with the baby. Make me an offer as I was initially thinking of keeping it for the next one but it's taking up space so in two minds about it!

Ax

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now