Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Moses Basket vs Cot, Sleeping Bag vs Proper Bedding!

(63 Posts)
LadyThompson Wed 23-Jul-08 13:28:05

Expecting PFB, pretty clueless about all this infernal equipment.

Is a moses basket the right thing for a newborn, or just more crap to discard when the baby grows out of it after 6 weeks?

I am worrying about bedding, because I don't want her to be too hot (risk of cot death) or too cold (err...pneumonia?!) and I honestly don't whether regular baby bedding is the best, or whether one of these newfangled gro-bags will solve all my problems.

Winter baby, end Nov. Thanks lovely experts.

bythepowerofgreyskull Wed 23-Jul-08 13:32:06

for ds1 we used the carrycot on our travel system for the first few weeks (quite good for walking round with sleepless baby in pram upstairs in the night)
he moved to his cot when he was 6 weeks and we kept using sheets and cellular blankets (from boots) for ages. For some reason I didn't trust sleeping bags.
we switched when he was about 6 months old to sleeping bags and wondered why we hadn't done it sooner.

DS2 carry cot with blankets in our room again but only for first 3 weeks then into his cot with sleeping bag.

We didn't use moses basket thing but would have if we hadn't had the travel system.

EsmeWeatherwax Wed 23-Jul-08 13:33:27

Grobags all the way. After they're 8lbs (is that the weight limit?) anyway. I had a moses basket for dd, but probably wouldn't again. Just another thing to chuck out.

StellaWasADiver Wed 23-Jul-08 13:37:19

My DS napped in the moses basket in the daytime until he was about 4 months. Maybe even 5, I can't remember. It was definitely worth having though - despite co-sleeping at night, and most of his naps taking place on one of our laps - it got enough use to justify.

Gorbags are great when they are big enough but one or two blankets are good when it is slightly cooler.

wasabipeanut Wed 23-Jul-08 13:41:58

Grobags - believe faffing with sheets and blankets is the last thing you'll need.

Moses baskets seem to work for a lot of babies but my ds HATED his. He slept in it for about 2 nights and then co slept for the next 3 months.

He hated his pram as well so most naps were on me or dh.

I think part of the issue is that as soon as they stretch their arms a bit in a moses basket they hit the side and newborns sleep so lightly that they will wake from tiny things like that.

If we have another one we will probably start with a cot from day 1 unless we have another co sleeper!

Oblomov Wed 23-Jul-08 13:59:33

Moses baskets are great. Becasue they are smaller, so not such a big space for baby to feel , in the middle of nowhere, as some people think they might do, in a big cot.
I had 2, one up, one down. Given to me by sil. Brilliant. Would I pay alot for one ? no, because they don't last that long.
Grow bags Brilliant. No blankets, bedding nonsense. Used them for ages and ages. Totally fab.
Saying that we did swaddle ds, initially. Ds loved it. But not all babies do.

cmotdibbler Wed 23-Jul-08 14:11:36

We borrowed a moses basket, and it was good for having downstairs, and just moving him around asleep to whereever we were. I wouldn't buy one, but borrowing or Freecycling one is a good idea,

Grobags are the best thing ever - keeps them at exactly the right temp no matter how much they kick, means you can feed them at night and put them back in bed all warm, and then stops them sticking limbs out the cot bars later

MrsBadger Wed 23-Jul-08 14:11:39

Don't spend too much on sleeping bags - dd hated them and we're still (11m) using the 10yo cellular blankets inherited from dh's cousin.

Top sheets are a waste of time though - just wash the blanket.
And remember old pillowcases are exactly the right size to use as sheets for a moses basket - just stick the mattress inside.

lovelysongbird Wed 23-Jul-08 14:13:38

get a mb ad cot and sleepig bagsmile

SquiffyHock Wed 23-Jul-08 14:15:06

Grobags are fantastic, particularly if you are planning on going to Grandparents etc. as mine always settled brilliantly in their little piece of home! We used swaddles for the first few weeks (mine loved them) then straight into Grobags.

See if you can borrow a crib or moses basket, they are definately handy but only for the first few weeks.

elmoandella Wed 23-Jul-08 14:16:06

pram with a cot are great for sleeps during day.
the ones with a stand are even better as takes up less room than the wheels.

forget moses basket.

use travel cot with bassinette. as no doubt you will definately use again. and you can send to gp till their about 3 as their bed. you can get a proper mattress for the travel cot from toys r us. and i mean a proper one like in a bed. not those daft pads from mothercare.

you need blankets till they can move about and then grobags.

grobags save them losing blankets. and when they get older they deter them from climbing out cot bed too quick.

i've got a collection of bedding i'm looking to get out of my garage. but no one wants sad

pram /moses basket size sheets. and a collection of grobags. some unisex, some boys, some girls. but colour doesn't really

some of the pram size stuff has never been used.matter as no one sees them except you.

SpecialOffer Wed 23-Jul-08 14:16:06

Love Gro-bags, my son is 1 and is still in them.

I didn't use a moses basket, used a carrycot as well, my son was so big he would have only lasted a week or two in it! Mind you he didn't last much longer in the carrycot - he slept in the bouncy chair a lot!

PortAndLemon Wed 23-Jul-08 14:19:23

Grobags are maaaaaaaaaaaaarvellous. And Lidl do very cheap versions for smaller babies too small for a regular Grobag.

MrsBadger Wed 23-Jul-08 14:24:54

and do get a travel cot with a bassinet

we didn't (thought we were clever saving money getting a cheaper one) and it is impossible to put a sleeping baby in it without waking them as the base is so damn low.

And you can leave a cheapy travel cot at the grandparents and just take the bassinet back and forth with you.

heron22 Wed 23-Jul-08 14:29:12

how about using Natures nest? www.amby.co.uk

MonkeyMargot Wed 23-Jul-08 14:31:30

MrsBadger - excuse me ignorance - but what is a bassinet?

Buckets Wed 23-Jul-08 14:32:28

I wouldn't bother getting a grobag unless it was a travel one (zip slit on the back). Then you can strap them in the carseat or pushchair while fast asleep, great for evenings out or the schoolrun.

MonkeyMargot Wed 23-Jul-08 14:32:48

MY ignorance - doh

MrsBadger Wed 23-Jul-08 14:42:20

it's like a suspended cradle inside the travel cot
this one's got one
this one hasn't

dd slept on the mattress on the floor in France for two weeks recently as the travel cot was such a disaster (luckily she is not a midnight explorer)

2cats2many Wed 23-Jul-08 14:45:02

Sleeping bags all the way and if I could turn teh clock back I wouldn't bother with a moses basket again.

MonkeyMargot Wed 23-Jul-08 14:53:36

MrsBadger - brilliant - thanks for the pictorial explanation!
Do you need a travelcot aswell as a carrycot? I am planning on buying a Bugaboo Chameleon, and was advised in Mothercare that the carrycot would double up as a Moses basket for the first few months.

LadyThompson Wed 23-Jul-08 15:05:33

I'm really grateful for all this help. Think I'm gonna get

a cot
a grobag and see if she likes it

and maybe put her in the pushchair carrycot initially if a) it will double up as a Moses basket and b) she doesn't like the cot (a la MonkeyMargot above).

Yes, I want to know about needing a travelcot as well as a carrycot...though I will get a cheapy travelcot to leave at my Ma's.

Swaddling...um...how does this work then?

chocbutton Wed 23-Jul-08 15:08:22

DS slept in his carrycot for the first 4 months and then moved into a travel cot with bassinet as it was already a bit of a squeeze in there. You might get away with using the carry cot as a bed for longer if your DC is smaller.

chocbutton Wed 23-Jul-08 15:11:51

and he is still in grobags now at 18 mths - also stop him rampaging round his cot too much, although I found his grobag in a little pile on the floor next to his cot this morning hmm

Bundle Wed 23-Jul-08 15:12:26

cot
growbag
sorted

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now