Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Abdominal spasms in early pregnancy?

(8 Posts)
Upwind Wed 23-Jul-08 11:16:58

For a few weeks now I've been having this sharp shooting pain across my groin and towards my right hip when I move suddenly (turn over in bed, get up from a chair etc.)

It fades to an ache and gradually dissapears in a couple of minutes. I can't find any info about it anywhere and it doesn't seem to happen all the time. A few times it has been so bad I have found myself on all fours on the floor!

Did anyone else have similar? If so, please tell me it will go away soon (am 13 weeks now).

whiteorchid Wed 23-Jul-08 16:42:19

Sorry, no idea, but bumping for you. If it's related to movement, could it be SPD?

Upwind Wed 23-Jul-08 17:31:55

Thanks whieorchid! I actually mentioned it to my GP and he said it couldn't be SPD because it is too early. He said it was probably just a ligament.

Looking at your link I don't think it is SPD because separating my legs doesn't cause it to flare up but anything that uses abdominal muscles like coughing or sneezing really does.

If it is just a ligament spasm I would imagine it was not the first time it had happened to a pregnant woman but I've not been able to find any similar symptoms on google...

babylove123 Thu 24-Jul-08 13:43:42

Hi,

I am currently 22 weeks and have had a lot of pain in the last 5 weeks. It comes and goes, good and bad days. I mentioned SPD to my docs and he told me to keep an eye on it but the midwife and everyone just said its sore ligaments from stretching and growing. They suggest things like a pregnany yoga class or swimming to try and loosen the muscles and ligaments.

Upwind Thu 24-Jul-08 13:57:12

Thanks babylove, I might try signing up for both yoga and swimming. Sorry to hear you are still getting it.

eandz Thu 24-Jul-08 13:58:24

upwind,
it's round ligament pain. happened to me too.

Cies Thu 24-Jul-08 14:01:54

That's interesting Upwind. I might be pregnant (waiting to test wink) and for the last couple of weeks I've had the same thing.

When I sneeze, cough, or sit up in a strange way I get these pains. I sort of think of them in my ovaries... For me they're not so strong, I'm certainly not on the floor. But, it could be the same thing.

I don't have any clue what it might be though.

(However, I am going to take it as a hopeful sign that I am pregnant smile)

Upwind Fri 25-Jul-08 06:10:24

Cies, I've had them from the beginning so fingers crossed it is a good sign for you smile

Having googled for "round ligament pain" I am pretty sure that Eandz is right. What I can't find out is whether it will continue for the duration of the pregnancy. Even if it does it will be totally worthwhile in the end!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now