Talk

Advanced search

Brown discharge in early pregnancy? Anyone else had this?

(30 Posts)
lewpylew Mon 07-Feb-05 19:27:56

I am just over 6 weeks pregnant with my 2nd baby and woke up this morning to find some browny coloured discharge when I wiped(soory for TMI!). I have seen the doctor and called the maternity unit who say as long as it is not accompanied by pain it is fine and to rest and keep an eye on it.

Just wanted some reassurance! I have a stitch like pain but it is by my naval on the right hand side, so I think too high up to be connected to baby. I think I have probably pulled a muscle, but just worrying!

Please help!

Emma xx

Amanda3266 Mon 07-Feb-05 19:31:38

Hi Emma,

If the loss is brown it's an old bleed. Fresh blood would be bright red. I got this when I was pg too - had it a couple of times and always around when my period would have been due.

The stitch like pain sounds like the ligaments supporting the womb are stretching slightly to support the increased size of the womb (quite normal).

Just make sure you get plenty of rest and if it doesn't settle in a few days or becomes bright red or you start to get pain then get back onto your GP.

Hope that helps - it's probably nothing to worry about.

Mandy

myermay Mon 07-Feb-05 19:36:53

Message withdrawn

paolosgirl Mon 07-Feb-05 19:43:02

I had exactly what you are describing at around 8 weeks with my first - both the pain and the discharge - scared the living daylights out of me. The spotting was in place of my period, and the pain was stretching (it was quite severe - I was scanned in case it was ectopic).
It's probbaly nothing to worry about, but do you have an early pregnancy unit that you could go to for an early scan to put your mind at ease? Hope it all goes well for you.

kangel Mon 11-Apr-05 14:22:11

I am 5 weeks pregnant and woke up on saturday morning to brown discharge after going to the loo. Its my 3rd day of this discharge which has happened in all around 7 times and each time is quite watery and when I go for a wee. I had a scan this morning which showed my sac in tact but no embrio is visable yet and no heartbeat as it is too early to have developed, am going back next week and am praying for a heartbeat. Has anyone else been through the same? I am desperate for some good news and am so worried and scared - just want to cry!!

Heathcliffscathy Mon 11-Apr-05 14:44:54

i had exactly this and it was no problem, had it around when i should have had the first two periods during pregnancy....

don't worry, and do use it as an excuse to for extra extra relaxation!

Cyndii Mon 11-Apr-05 15:53:40

Yes girls (Lewpylew & Kangel) I am in the very same boat as you.

I placed a thread earlier. have one boy. Had a miscarriage at Christmas 11 weeks.

I too am six weeks pregnant. had a brown discharge on Friday morning. Went to maternity and had a scan and the same as Kangel, perfect sac but no sign of heartbeat etc but they said not to read into this as it's perfectly normal so I've to go back again in 2 weeks time. So it's limbo hell at the moment.

I've had 2 other little discharges since........ but not real pain. It is like hell.

Hopefully Girls it will work out for us all but I don't know how to feel to prepare myself for mc or what to think? Just pray it's in God's hands.

Munchkinola Mon 11-Apr-05 16:00:08

I had exactly the same at 5 weeks and it lasted for about 4-5 days. Very scared as away from home at the time but it all turned out well Doctor recommend plenty of rest. I hope things go well for you too.

kangel Mon 11-Apr-05 16:24:20

I've had another 3 lots today that have been lighter than the others, the last one being extreamly light. I hope this is it stopping now! I am in no pain what so ever just exhausted and been feeling really dizzy since saturday too! Am sooooooo worried that there wont be a heartbeat at the next scan! Am trying so hard to stay positive (as you can tell I'm a worry guts). Its nice to know that this is normal!

Cyndii Mon 11-Apr-05 16:43:03

Kangel ~ I'm there with you ~ I had a little show today and little one on Saturday since but God yes it's such a worry.

On my first preg. I had one little spot of red blood and all turned out well. It's just the wait...........good luck next week please let us know how it goes.

Preggars Mon 11-Apr-05 16:50:13

Sounds to me that the egg is implanting, which does commonly cause some light bleeding and discomfort like you described.

My sister-in-law had this, and much heavier and fresher blood when she was 6 weeks. She is now 39+ weeks.

peepee Mon 11-Apr-05 17:10:42

Just popped in from the due Nov 05 thread.

I know how you all feel.

I am 10/3 and have bled. First bleed (only on wiping) was a brown discharge. this went on for about 6days at 6wks and then stopped. In week ten the same thing happened. It is still going on. It is on and off. Sometimes its clear or very faint and other times its a brown discharge.

I have had 4 m/c in the past and all have been different. This is the first time I have not had severe cramp and backache. I am therefore trying to stay positive(but it is hard). I am scared of finding out the scan results when i go on the 21st.

DH keeps telling me to be positive. GP has told me only to go to hospital if bleed is bright red and heavy.

I wish everyone the best of luck. Just try and relax and pray that all will work out for the best.

GOOD LUCK......x

HidingOut Tue 12-Apr-05 11:58:12

Another worrier here. I've had pg symptoms for about 10 days or so but it was too early to test. Last night I noticed some brown discharge when wiping and thought that it must be AF on her way. Nothing else happened until this morning when I again found more brown discharge. I also keep needing to wee every 5 minutes but still no sign of AF. My cervix feels quite achey though. Is it worth me going ahead with a HPT?

peepee Tue 12-Apr-05 20:15:23

PT's are very sensitive and will be able to tell you if you are pregnant at a very early stage.

My discharge has got heavier. Went to GP's and saw a locom. She was really nice. I have an appointment in the morning at the EPU. I am expecting the worst. I don't feel pregnant anymore. My boobs still hurt but i think that's due to me constantly prodding them.

Good luck to the rest of you guys.

Cyndii Wed 13-Apr-05 10:58:47

Good luck Peepee!! Let us know how it goes! PG all will be well

kangel Wed 13-Apr-05 13:24:36

Good Luck peepee!! Let us know how you get on! I am thinking of you and have my fingers crossed for you!!!

Lolasmum Wed 13-Apr-05 13:37:13

I had the same earlier in my pregnancy. It turned out to be a urinary tract infection. The bloody discharge was caused by the infection and so was the pain. Get your GP to run a urine test for you. Good luck.

beansprout Wed 13-Apr-05 13:38:56

I had exactly the same. It was just some old blood and ds is now 5mo!! I was still v scared at the time though. Best wishes to you

kangel Wed 13-Apr-05 13:57:54

Mine seems to have got a lot lighter today although I am still v.worred and am convinced the worst is going to happen! Thought it had stopped yesterday but it came back. Without being a complete twat (but am quite fizzy at the moment) can someone please give me the low down on the ds, dd, dh etc.... I have been racking my poor overloaded head as to what these mean and give up?!!! I got the TMI though! (very proud of myself)!!!

kangel Wed 13-Apr-05 14:01:24

Think it just clicked!! DS (darling son) DD (darling daughter) DH (darling hubby) ?????????

Cyndii Wed 13-Apr-05 14:05:01

Hi Kangle ~ delighted to hear that it's lightening up fingers crossed.

Since Friday I've only had two shows or whatever we should call them ~ I've to go back for my second scan next week (Thurs) and I hope that this time we can see a little heart beating. I'll then be 8 weeks. Finger's crossed

The lowdown on the abbreviations are, I think, please correct me if I'm wrong

dh ~ dearest or darling husband
ds ~ dearest or darling son
dd ~ dearest or darling daughter

As I say that's waht I think it is!!!! Good luck with everything.

peepee Thu 14-Apr-05 10:39:57

Hi.....

Had my scan yesterday morning. Unfortunately, I have had another miscarraige. I suppose deep down I knew this had happened. The doctor was really sweet. He has made me an appointment for the 27th for another scan just to check everything is out.

On the positive side the hospital will start with investigations as soon as I have had the second scan.

I enjoyed a great bottle of red last night and ate some forbidden foods! It really sounds odd, but after the first miscarraige I was really shocked and upset. At this stage it has just become routine.

We will keep trying. although this time we will wait to see if there are any results from the hospital first.

Good luck to the rest of you guys. x

Lolasmum Thu 14-Apr-05 10:43:41

Sorry to hear that Peepee. Best wishes.

Cyndii Thu 14-Apr-05 11:42:09

So sorry to hear that Peepee............

kangel Thu 14-Apr-05 14:28:22

I am sooo sooo sorry to hear your news, I was thinking of you all last night and had my fingers crossed for you. It will happen so please stay positive, I know that is easier said than done. Please stay in touch, I think we can all agree that the support you get on this site is amazing ~ it certainly has helped me. Thinking of you!x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now