Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone suffer SERIOUS INSOMNIA from early pregnancy?

(12 Posts)
mamafelix Tue 22-Jul-08 18:27:33

I'm only 4 weeks and a bit and already I'm awake from 3 am every night!! This happened last time and went on until late pregnancy when you're up all night peeing and can't sleep for the physical discomfort. It's wretched and of course I can't take any pills. No idea what causes it.

Does ANYONE else get this? If so, is there anything I can do about it. Docs don't take it very seriously.

Just feel rather depressed at the prospect of another 8 months of this

thehouseofmirth Tue 22-Jul-08 18:47:08

I've got it too! I always assumed it was nature's way of getting you used to sleepless nights before the baby comes so that when it's born you're already used to it don't directly associate it with the baby and therefore don't throw the baby out the window. Having suffered 3 years of crappy sleep since DS was born I thought my body wouldn't be stupid enough to to do it again but I was obviously wrong. Have already sent DH to spare room as I found the sound of his snoring unbearable and driving me to murderous thoughts.

mamafelix Tue 22-Jul-08 18:50:27

Oh god, sorry mirth, don't wish it on anyone else! Still, I feel better to know there's at least one other person suffering in the small hours.

When are you due?

Tapster Tue 22-Jul-08 18:52:14

Snap, I'm 5.5 weeks with a 20 month old. The first sign of my pregnancy was insomnia at 3 weeks and I've had it ever since. Now ill I think due to lack of sleep. I can't even manage to sleep while DD is asleep at nap time.

I do feel incredibly hot and very tired but not sleepy. It like I'm on overdrive. It was bad enought last time now I have a todder to run after it is very very hard.

I'm permanently grumpy and feel very sorry for my toddler as I'm not much fun. She has watched more cbeebies the last couple of days than she has the last year I feel.

Slickbird Tue 22-Jul-08 18:59:26

Yip, I'm there too. Nearly 8 weeks and sleep is crap and also have a snoring husband that I would like to throw out the window. But having said that I've always suffered from insomnia so I am pretty used to running on auto-pilot. I believe you can , once again, put pregnancy insomnia down to good old bloody hormones....

mamafelix Tue 22-Jul-08 19:11:00

Tapster - same with me, feeling very hot. I think it's the new metabolism on massive overdrive. Just at completely the wrong time of day!

It just bugs me that all the books etc. say one of the symptoms of pregnancy is falling asleep all the time. I just wish I could!!

SO GLAD I'M NOT ALONE.

thehouseofmirth Tue 22-Jul-08 19:33:46

I'm 11 weeks mamafelix. Also co-sleeping with a non-napping 3 year old who still bf at least twice in the night and who is currently doing a lot of talking in his sleep. And then when I do finally drop off I need to get up to go the the loo again... At a time when you coudl really do with more sleep it's such a design fault, isn't it?

What did pg women with older children do before there was cbeebies all day?

pedilia Tue 22-Jul-08 19:37:51

I suffered terribly from insominia during my pegnancy with DD4 (4 weeks) not helped my having 3 olders DC's. I do have insomina anyway but this was a lot worse.

I must be the only woman in the world who is less tired feeding a newborn every 2 hoursgrin

Had it with DD and had it all through this pregnancy too (now 28 weeks), found with DD I slept better when she was born!

dinkystinky Wed 23-Jul-08 10:19:37

I had it early on with this pregnancy but think it was stress-related (worried about how DS will cope with sibling, how I'd cope, money issues etc.) - am less stressed now so is much better. I found getting some fresh air and doing some exercise in the daytime combined with a reeeeeeeeeeeeally long wind down for bed time, starting around 2 hours before I went to bed (with long leisurely bath, lavendar oil on pillows, lots of reading books, no tv etc) helped me switch off abit more and get some better sleep in.

Upwind Wed 23-Jul-08 11:12:22

I slept two hours a night when I was 4 - 5 weeks pg. I've made up for it since by sleeping 11 hours ever since (12 weeks now).

So it might go away.

mamaza Tue 29-Jul-08 09:34:01

HI, last night I slept 2 hours....I'll have nights when it's ok and then once a week weher I'll have almost no sleep. It stresses me out, because I feel so lethargic the next day, can't do anything, cry. This is a first pregnancy for me, 10 weeks now. Also extremely nauseous. Good to know I'm not alone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now