Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Oh no, just got positive result for parvovirus (slapped cheek)

(12 Posts)
dinny Tue 22-Jul-08 11:45:45

am 7 weeks pregnant, can't get doctor's appointment till friday, any idea what will happen now in terms of scans etc?

thanks, Dinny

PetitFilou1 Tue 22-Jul-08 12:03:36

Dinny Just checking doesn't a positive result mean you ARE immune?

PetitFilou1 Tue 22-Jul-08 12:07:25

Dinny if not, this NHS Direct page should help you a bit (note third para down which should give you come comfort)

www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=424§ionId=6

dinny Tue 22-Jul-08 12:37:01

don't know, the recptionist said I had to se the doctor - basically must mean I have been exposed to it...

dinny Tue 22-Jul-08 12:42:04

at some point - suppose they can't tell how long ago?

it's just been going around our school and a good friend of mine had it badly (adult)

PetitFilou1 Tue 22-Jul-08 13:42:59

Dinny It is confusing isn't it. My result came back with 'please tell the patient no further action required' and a positive result meaning that I was immune ie I had been exposed to it and now had antibodies.

The receptionist should have explained to you a bit more about the result as from what you've said I can't tell whether you have immunity or you don't. Can you call back and ask for some clarification?

artichokes Tue 22-Jul-08 13:47:38

Call and ask to speak to the on-call GP now. They cannot leave you in the lurch over something like this and the receptionist is not qualified to explain.

I too expect positive means you are immune but that they cannot be sure whether it is immunity from recent exposure or not.

dinny Tue 22-Jul-08 13:54:31

thanks for the posts - have managed to book in with my midwife (Tuesday is her regular day at the surgery) at 3.15 - she'll know what's what, won't she?

dinny Tue 22-Jul-08 16:55:50

right, all OK! mw says results say I have had parvo in the past, so am immune and have had no recent infection

Slickbird Tue 22-Jul-08 20:28:55

What is Parvo? (Slapped Cheek?) It sounds like I might need to watch out for it??

PetitFilou1 Tue 22-Jul-08 21:10:13

Good - but those receptionists who think they have medical degrees ..... angry She put you through unnecessary angst.

dinny Wed 23-Jul-08 21:57:55

Slickbird here

PF - am just sooo relieved!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now