Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

worth having early scans to reassure after m/c? or just wait till 12 weeks again?

(8 Posts)
Gemzooks Tue 22-Jul-08 11:43:32

Had 2 m/c last winter, one at 8 weeks and one at 12 weeks, discovered at the 12 week scan. Really awful seeing the little thing but it having no heartbeat.

So, now pg again, only 4 weeks. I could have a scan at 8 weeks to reassure me, plus at 12 weeks again. but what is worse, knowing it is ok at 8 weeks and then worrying it won't make it to 12, or just hanging on till the 12 weeks?

Anyone been in similar situation and what did you find was better for your peace of mind?

PortAndLemon Tue 22-Jul-08 11:47:48

I had an extra scan. I'd been planning to have it at 9 weeks but then had some spotting and had it at 8+3 instead. It definitely gave me some extra peace of mind (but then my miscarriage have been around 5-8 weeks rather than your 12 weeks).

poppy34 Tue 22-Jul-08 11:52:55

sympathy for you gemzooks as its horrible finding out esp so late. I had various problems with first 3 pregnancies including m/c.. since first one I have always gone for extra scans.
I am not saying it is easy going to scan (or not horrible if you do find out what went wrong) but imo its better than waiting for ages and not being able to deal with it (I know it sounds horrible but I'd rather know than not know) plus the 12 week scan is stressful enough without this.

fingers crossed for you - I do feel for you as its torture waiting

cyanarasamba Tue 22-Jul-08 11:56:09

I had an extra scan too. I think it was at about 8 weeks. This was in the EPU rather than in the scanning department, and I found them rather more symapthetic.

It was very hard to go but definitely put my mind at rest somewhat. I don't think you will totally relax till you get past that 12 week point, and the 12 week scan will still be hard, but if you have the chance of an extra scan I would have it.

waitinggirl Tue 22-Jul-08 13:01:05

after 2mc last year, including 1mmc, and on the advice of a friend we opted for a private scan at 8 weeks. don't do one earlier - there's no point, and statistically, if they can see a heartbeat at 8 weeks, your odds improve dramatically.

it was utterly terrifying, but worth it - i needed to know either way. please be kind to yourself - and know there is nothing you can do either way which will affect how this pregnancy goes - it either sticks, or it doesn't. the best thing you can do is be as kind to yourself as possible and try to keep as calm as possible.

we are now 18 weeks (crossed fingers) and the worrying doesn't stop. we've got our anomaly scan in 2 weeks - each scan is terrifying for anyone, and especially so if you have experience of mc.

good luck

bethoo Tue 22-Jul-08 13:05:44

i was nto allowed any early scans even though had 2 previous m/c. gps attitude is that even if yo have an early scan you can still m/c later and in the first trimester if it is going to happen there is nothing you can do about it.
i can see why you would want an early scan. i had one at 7 weeks and there was a hb but it passed away days later and was only picked up at my 12 week scan.

firststar Tue 22-Jul-08 13:09:31

Message withdrawn

belgo Tue 22-Jul-08 13:09:39

I had a reassurance scan at eight weeks. It reassured me for about a week, then I started worrying abain. I also felt strangely guilty that the scan was for me, not for the baby.

Hope this pregnancy goes well for you Gemzooks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now