Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone considering freebirthing?

(12 Posts)
MacMac123 Mon 21-Jul-08 17:48:29

If so, pls can I point you towards my posting in the media section of this board re an article I'm currently writing?
Thanks ladies....

kookiegoddess Mon 21-Jul-08 17:59:54

What is it? A helpful explanation might get me interested!

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Mon 21-Jul-08 18:05:41

giving birth with no health professionals whatsoever.

No way, it's bonkers.

kookiegoddess Mon 21-Jul-08 18:12:03

Nope sorry not interested. I'm totally in awe of midwives and cannot see how it would be sensible to have a baby without one present.

I saw that programme the other week and I really think that desire to freebirth reflects a slightly irrational attitude on the part of the mother, I was shocked that they could rant about over medicalised births but were not fully informed about dealing with any other scenario than a normal birth and delivery.

patrick2007 Wed 23-Jul-08 02:24:49

To save anyone else looking for the post in media, here is direct link

mel2005 Wed 23-Jul-08 09:22:10

i saw the programme as well, my midwife almost didnt make my homebirth as it progressed so quickly. i had a great birth but i wouldnt have even considered not having a midwife there. if they hadnt made it i would have been scared as neither my husband or me would have been able to deal with anything major.

the programme was quite shocking, the mothers didnt consider what might happen and they didnt do much training, one father was pulling the baby out and she was screaming something like 'dont pull!!!' what madness to risk their babies like that. i would read every book on the midwives training reading list and take a bit more than basic first aid.

i am sure i read somewhere you are 40 times more likely to die on the day you are born than in the next 40 years. You really need someone there who has medical training.

tinkisagracefulshamu Wed 23-Jul-08 11:44:11

i watched that programme too dont think i could go through without a midwife either just incase.

ib Wed 23-Jul-08 11:47:24

There was a thread about this recently, if you do a search you should be able to find it.

LaTrucha Wed 23-Jul-08 11:48:11

No. We'd both be dead if I had done so.

JessJess3908 Wed 23-Jul-08 11:56:12

Surely no one would CHOOSE to do such a thing???

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Wed 23-Jul-08 14:56:55

absolutely not but the woman in wales who gave birth in the pool did inspire me to get back to my research on home birthing - though i will def have a midwife present

mrsboogie Wed 23-Jul-08 17:38:05

its for lunatics

end of

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now