Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Too big for dates

(4 Posts)
beaufies Mon 21-Jul-08 15:32:11

I am 26 weeks and at my regular drs check last week I measured (fundal height) 29 weeks.

I have been looking big all the way through (no weight gain on me-all bump) and measurements taken at scans have shown me to be carrying a 'good sized baby'.

At my drs appointment there was also a small amount of glucose in my urine sample so I was asked to go back the following morning for a fasting blood test to rule out diabetes. They thought this was unlikley as I have no risk factors ie not overweight, no family history. Anyway the test result came back normal so they are going to do a GTT at 28 weeks.

How reliable is the fasting blood test ? and if it is accurate why are they doing a different type of test later ? If it's not diabetes why am I so big ? I know my dates are correct as we conceived with IUI treatment so there is absolutely no doubt. Could it just be that I eat an obsessively healthy diet and the baby is a greedy little so and so who is just helping himself ?

LadySweet Mon 21-Jul-08 15:42:42

Hi, I also measured large for dates at my 28 week appointment - was measuring 31.5. Like you I am "all bump", am only 5ft with no excess weightage. Scan showed all was well, its just the shape I am. Sonographer seemed to be a bit dubious about measuring bumps with tapes ;)

Not sure about accuracy of fasting bloood test or anything else I'm afraid.

mum2oandh Mon 21-Jul-08 15:47:14

I measured 4cm too big at 29 weeks 1cm too small at 32 weeks and spot on at 34 weeks.

My midwife agrees that bump measuring is an 'imprecise science' hmm

I think fasting tests are very accurate I had gestational diabetes in my first pregnancy, but not my second, so I have suffered a lot of tests!

mistlethrush Mon 21-Jul-08 15:47:36

Also measured big - midwife said it was extra fluid and really scared me. She sent me for scan/check up (but failed to arrange scan hmm) - consultant said that it was just a large baby and scan confirmed, he had to do glucose test (hospital proceedure) anyway - clear. Ds was just a big baby...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now