Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Too big for dates

(4 Posts)
beaufies Mon 21-Jul-08 15:32:11

I am 26 weeks and at my regular drs check last week I measured (fundal height) 29 weeks.

I have been looking big all the way through (no weight gain on me-all bump) and measurements taken at scans have shown me to be carrying a 'good sized baby'.

At my drs appointment there was also a small amount of glucose in my urine sample so I was asked to go back the following morning for a fasting blood test to rule out diabetes. They thought this was unlikley as I have no risk factors ie not overweight, no family history. Anyway the test result came back normal so they are going to do a GTT at 28 weeks.

How reliable is the fasting blood test ? and if it is accurate why are they doing a different type of test later ? If it's not diabetes why am I so big ? I know my dates are correct as we conceived with IUI treatment so there is absolutely no doubt. Could it just be that I eat an obsessively healthy diet and the baby is a greedy little so and so who is just helping himself ?

LadySweet Mon 21-Jul-08 15:42:42

Hi, I also measured large for dates at my 28 week appointment - was measuring 31.5. Like you I am "all bump", am only 5ft with no excess weightage. Scan showed all was well, its just the shape I am. Sonographer seemed to be a bit dubious about measuring bumps with tapes ;)

Not sure about accuracy of fasting bloood test or anything else I'm afraid.

mum2oandh Mon 21-Jul-08 15:47:14

I measured 4cm too big at 29 weeks 1cm too small at 32 weeks and spot on at 34 weeks.

My midwife agrees that bump measuring is an 'imprecise science' hmm

I think fasting tests are very accurate I had gestational diabetes in my first pregnancy, but not my second, so I have suffered a lot of tests!

mistlethrush Mon 21-Jul-08 15:47:36

Also measured big - midwife said it was extra fluid and really scared me. She sent me for scan/check up (but failed to arrange scan hmm) - consultant said that it was just a large baby and scan confirmed, he had to do glucose test (hospital proceedure) anyway - clear. Ds was just a big baby...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: