Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Private medical insurance

(5 Posts)
tostaky Mon 21-Jul-08 14:12:12

I've got BUPA with work but im not sure what im entitled with the plan I'm on.
Do you know if it's possible to have , say, a breastpump reimburesed by BUPA if I buy one? Or acupuncture for the baby etc…? Would I need a note from GP or midwife?

Any experience?

Thanks

Anglepoise Mon 21-Jul-08 14:24:24

I think you'd have to check your policy as they differ. I had health insurance through work, first with Axa then with Pru, and it didn't cover anything at all to do with a normal pregnancy, just if things went a bit pear-shaped.

slinkiemalinki Mon 21-Jul-08 14:47:07

Anglepoise is right in that it will depend on your policy - mine will cover a private c-section if medically necessary, plus hospital stay and follow up con.
It would not cover a breastpump - If I added the baby once born there are things it does cover but not generally complementary therapies like acupuncture.

notcitrus Mon 21-Jul-08 14:57:05

I've had BUPA via work and they covered nothing to do with pregnancy, fertility, or birth at all. But that was a pretty basic policy - some are better. You'll have to talk to them as the policy is written in pretty obscure language.

However consultants are pretty good at writing reports to ensure insurance pays them!

DD1ofcolandgerry Mon 21-Jul-08 15:03:59

I'll second notcitrus. I had bupa at work, but didnt cover anything to do with pregnancy or fertiity. I went for private fertility tests and had the whole lot done under bupa, due to the consultant wording the reports. I attended at least 8 consultations and had a lap and dye, and other tests done in a private hospital, all covered by a policy that supposedly didnt cover me!!!!

Had to pay myself once I got pregnant though, as I continued privately with the same consultant.

(hope bupa dont keep a check on these pages!!!!!!!!!! hmm )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now