Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

do the hormones during pregnancy make you depressed?

(18 Posts)
girlsallaround Sun 20-Jul-08 20:17:04

and what on earth do you do to combat that?

Ate Sun 20-Jul-08 22:35:55

I don't know if people tend more often towards depression when pregnant. It can be a time fraught with pressure and concern so doesn't seem unbelievable but I don't know that pregnancy hormones are necessarily a cause of depression.

I suppose how to combat it would be largely dependant upon the cause. The pregnancy itself? Any specific issues or concerns? Some women can become quite isolated when pregnant and lonelyness doesn't help.

expatinscotland Sun 20-Jul-08 22:42:04

they can do.

it's worth talking to your midwife, consultant or GP, however, if you find yourself struggling with depression during pregnancy.

bubblepop Sun 20-Jul-08 23:19:29

i was with my fourth..it was awful,felt really bad. did'nt help that it was an unplanned pregnancy and was ill throughout with various ailments..whilst having to deal with 3 other dc's. I'm pretty sure the hormones magnified my feelings and made them 10 times worse then they needed to be. It all passed over quite quickly after the birth and I soon bounced back.

Anglepoise Sun 20-Jul-08 23:26:25

I read about antenatal depression the other day. IME hormones can do all sorts! If you're worried then I'd speak to your GP or midwife

littlelamb Sun 20-Jul-08 23:36:20

Yes, certainly with me. Circumstances too can play a major role on your mood- pregnancy is a huge life changing event. WHen I realised I was suffering from it with ds I went to my doctor as I had had it very badly with dd 4 years previously and I didn't want to experience that level of depression again. I think being open and honest with your gp and midwife is a great starting point- during both pregnancies when I was low my GP made time for a longer appointment for me each week just to check in and see how I was (different GPs each time btw, I think medical people are more willing nowadays to acknowledge antenatal depression as a very valid problem- it is possibly even more common than PND) My Gp printed me a very interesting article that basically said that one theory is thatyour body remembers how it has reacted to certain hormones before- if you have been depressed in pregnancy once, your body will remember it and react in teh same way when it comes across those hormones again. I haven't explained that very well but I do think there may be some truth in that for me, which is sad really as I now have 2 beautiful dcs but have never had an enjoyable pregnancy I am lucky in the respect that once the baby is born my depression seems to lift almost immediately. When I was pg with dd I took part in a university study which found that there was no link between difficult feelings in pregnancy and low feelings after the birth, so at least that seems to be positive, and maybe that hormones do play more of a part than we realise?

expatinscotland Sun 20-Jul-08 23:40:22

'I haven't explained that very well but I do think there may be some truth in that for me, which is sad really as I now have 2 beautiful dcs but have never had an enjoyable pregnancy '

I think anyone who has had AND knows exactly what you mean!

The biggest regret in my life is that when I was pregnant with DD1 I was so ignorant, I wish I had found MN then, and my undetected AND and poorly treated PND effectively cost both her and me the first 18 months of her life.

Our relationship is still recovering.

If you are feeling low, girls, PLEASE, don't be like me! Phone your midwife or GP or practice nurse for a chat.

littlelamb Sun 20-Jul-08 23:48:03

I do think its a real problem in general expat- midwives here are just too overstretched to have the time to make sure every woman is ok, and even if you do bring it up they don't really know what to do. I had three different midwives from the community team when I was pg with ds, when you are supposed to be allocated one. I explained how I was feeling to the first who then promptly disappeared, with no warning at all. SO my next appointment was with a new one, who had no idea I was having difficulty and tbh when you are feeling that depressed you don't necessarily feel like telling the whole thing again. I saw my gp nextwho offered me at least some continuity of care and who I know contacted my midwife as she was concerned about me. Only to recieve a letter after a few weeks to say that X was now my midwife. I didn't tell her a thing and frankly she didn't have the time to listen anyway. That is where they are failing. If they did more than the blood pressure and actually sat and listened to you I think they would be able to reach out to far more women. Even the literature is lacking. They will happily give you a bounty pack stufed with formula adverts but where is the leaflet about antenatal depression???

expatinscotland Sun 20-Jul-08 23:51:53

i also had a shit surgery with DD1. totally incompetent fools and we were working poor and it was an affluent area and they treated us like something on the bottom of their shoes.

the HV was a cow.

the midwives were completely run off their feet and i never saw the same one twice.

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 20-Jul-08 23:52:44

Message withdrawn

littlelamb Mon 21-Jul-08 00:00:20

Very true Starlight. I had to stay in when I was about 25 weeks pg as I has had quite a big bleed. They let me go home to get some things, I came back, was shown to my bed and just left all night in a ward with a woman obviously in the early stages of a painful labour opposite I didn't have any obv taken, and the next mornign couldn't even find anyone to discharge me, so I just left, and then had a hell of a time trying to get my notes back. I do think, especially if you are already depressed, this can be really soul destroying. I know I was at possibly my lowest point whne that happened, and the feeling that noone cared was just horrible

elkiedee Mon 21-Jul-08 00:14:26

Hormones in pregnancy can make you feel all sorts of things, many not pleasant, so I'm not surprised ante-natal depression is common. I don't think I've had AND, but hormones make me feel cold when it's not, very sick and not just in the first 3 months (1st time) and totally exhausted.

How far along are you, girlsaround? Is it your first time?

There are lots of people on mumsnet for whom these forums have been or are a lifeline during AND, PND, or other depression or stress and what I consider to be circumstantial depression, because of things that have happened to you (it took me months to gain any confidence in myself as a new mum after a bit of a disastrous start).

Have you found the "antenatal" thread for people expecting a baby the same month as you?

If you find your midwife or GP approachable, talk to them.

EBenes Mon 21-Jul-08 11:23:16

I have been so sad during this pregnancy, and was not at all like this last pregnancy. I cry all the time, I just can't stop crying. Today my mum said something about the Madeleine McCann case, and I started thinking about that paedophile article linked to on mumsnet a week or so ago and cried really hard for about half an hour while my mum held me. I've always been a big crier, but I just have never experienced anything like this and it must be the hormones. I want to be happy and active before I get too heavy and find moving hard, but it's not happening. Hormones are just insane, they don't know what they're doing.

I feel reassured by littlelamb's post that it is not linked to post-natal depression, though.

ButIForgetMyself Mon 21-Jul-08 13:16:43

I have also been horrendously sad. This is my first pregnancy, at at times I've felt so overwhelmed by stuff I just sit with my head in my hands and cry. It's a very wanted baby, both DP and I are so happy about it, you wouldn't believe, which is why this incessant depression is so out of place. I'm usually such a happy, positive person, and I can barely even be bothered to shower in the morning.

It's only been these last few days that it's actually felt like it's lifting (I'm 16+6).

Lizzylou Mon 21-Jul-08 13:18:26

I was very sad and down with both my pregnancies, really low.
I don't sleep well when I'm pg, but really felt awful and hopeless, when I was actually very pleased to be having a baby.
I was fine once I had given birth.

Lizzylou Mon 21-Jul-08 13:19:04

Agree, speak to MW/GP about it, I wish I had.

mamaza Sun 27-Jul-08 12:01:26

10 weeks and even though it's very much a wanted baby, I've been so low. Having trouble with sleep - it takes me such a long time to fall asleep, will occasionally wake up early morning - and I'm weepy and just don't feel excited about baby. I've been reading up a lot on subject, and it seems it will pass, just feel guilty for not being more happy

minouminou Sun 27-Jul-08 14:04:06

Can i just throw something else into the mix, as well as the hormones
The heat.
I was expecting DS over the summer of 2006, and the heat made me feel dreadful, physicaLLY and emotionally (he was born oct 2006)....it was just about the only time in my life i've felt down (really), and it was bloody awful!
i was really worried abot getting PND, but, as soon as the temperature dropped in aug and sept, my spirits lifted right back up
not saying the heat is the be-all and end-all, but i thought i was depressed and hormonal, but if you're not fond of the heat full stop - it's something to think about and work on when you're pregnant
white clothes, cool baths, shade, luke-warm drinks (NOT cold, as they make you warmer in the long run), trips to pool
hope you all feel better soon, ladies, because it's not pleasant, i know

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now