Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Next steps after BFP

(10 Posts)
Cosmogirl Sun 20-Jul-08 15:17:42

Hello,

Just wondering what the next steps are once you get a BFP. Got one today - very early, only 3 weeks and a few days gone, but wondered when you are meant to go and see the doctor etc...

TIA.

beansprout Sun 20-Jul-08 15:19:57

You need to go and see the GP, not because they have to do anything to you but so they can refer you to the hospital you want to use. If, like me, there is a choice and you want to make sure you get your first choice, you can go along as soon as you like.

And Congratulations!!! grin

Tinkerisdead Sun 20-Jul-08 15:20:03

I rang the surgery and they booked me in with nurse. nurse confirmed my dates and then arranged booking in with midwife which was at 8 weeks for me.

Tinkerisdead Sun 20-Jul-08 15:21:03

yes sorry congratulations too {grin]

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sun 20-Jul-08 15:21:40

No rush. Make a GP appt for about 8 weeks (post LMP) and they will refer you to a midwife, for a booking in appt at about 10 weeks.
Congrats!

Ambi Sun 20-Jul-08 15:25:01

Congratulations cosmogirl,
I went to the doctors not long after bfp to get logged into the system then the midwives will contact you for the booking in appt around 11 weeks.

I spent the next few weeks elated then realise how long it is til baby arrives. Also dying to buy baby stuff I only felt brave enough to buy bibs.

thehouseofmirth Sun 20-Jul-08 19:21:53

Congratulations! I'd go to docs sooner rather than later as procedures seem to vary from area to are adn some hospitals get busy and you do want to make sure you get your nuchal scan on time (if it is offered where you are). Also, if you aren't already, you need to start taking folic acid.

pluto Sun 20-Jul-08 20:59:42

Congratulations! After my BFP I phoned the surgery to book appt with gp but when I explained to receptionist it was because I was expecting she said unless I "needed" to see the gp it was their procedure to book appt straight with MW. I had my first appt with MW at 8 weeks but official "booking in" not until 12 weeks. When I saw MW the first time I asked her if it was unusual to see her at 8 weeks - had I come too soon? but she said they like to see people early so they can impart the necessary advice about eating, do free prescription paperwork, sort out dating scan and give out Bounty pack stuff!. I expect every health authority or surgery has different policies though and perhaps you will see your gp.

Cosmogirl Sun 20-Jul-08 22:12:09

Thanks for the advice - that is really helpful. Thanks also for all the congratulations. It still feels very surreal at the minute [it was our first cycle of ttc - did not expect it to happen so soon]. Am going to do another test tomorrow morning! Have been taking folic acid for a few months, but was thinking of moving onto pregnacare. Is this necessary or is it better to stick with FA?

RhinestoneCowgirl Sun 20-Jul-08 22:15:58

Folic Acid is fine I think. I would only use Pregnacare if not eating balanced diet (can be tricky with morning sickness...)

I bypassed the GP this time and spoke to the midwives directly. Booking in is 10 weeks round here, but it does vary. MW booked 12 wk scan at first appt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now