Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I know it's been done before but REALLY bad pelvic pain...

(11 Posts)
LadyOfWaffle Sun 20-Jul-08 12:29:14

Brief roundup: last pregnancy I was totally OK pain wise, DS was 6lb 6oz and I was about 1 -1 1/2 stone lighter. This time, progressivly (sp?) over the past month or so my hips and groin have been so so sooooo painful to the point now I physically can't really go out, I can barely walk from the bedroom or living room to the bathroom, can't turn in bed, can't sit on the sofa (have to sit on a chair so I can get up), need DH to park against the curb to get into the car (yesterday I had to stand outside the car for 10/15 minutes because I still couldn't lift my leg high enough to get in) - I lifted my leg into the car but there was a big click so I was stuck one leg in for a while until I put it back down and it clicked again, Sometimes I can't put my legs together, as if babys head is in the way or something - the list is endless really, so moaning over... what I wanted to know is what I can do about it, if it's a 'problem' as such etc. I told the MW last Monday but she said "oh everything stretches" and it was due to the extra weight. I have only put on 2kg this time, so I guess she is on about babys weight but it doesn't stop it being totaly agony. I read a little about SPD ages ago and remember abit about telling the MW when giving birth so they don't push/pull your legs about too much, but I don't want to start telling people this that and the other if I haven't got it... but then I feel abit the pain isn't taken seriously because I am fat. Can you get 'genuine' pelvis problems/SPD etc. when you are overweight? Or is it one of those things you put up with?

LadyOfWaffle Sun 20-Jul-08 12:41:03

Oh, and a really weird pain right in the middle of err... my 'muff triangle' (no idea what that area would be called??) - few cms below my knicker band. That flares up even if I am totally still - might be triggered by baby moving it's head.

belgo Sun 20-Jul-08 12:45:57

I think you should go to your GP. If it is SPD, it's important that it's diagnosed for the birth, as you say.

I have a very very skinny friend with awful SPD, so I think it's unfair to blame your weight.

Slickbird Sun 20-Jul-08 13:20:28

Yip, I had SPD last time, and I'm pretty slim so it's not to do with weight. It can be hormones that do it, it can be the weight of your baby - my bambinos were pretty average both times, but I was in the same pain you are in. I couldn't turn over in my sleep either, needed help getting up from the couch, couldn't walk very far.... it was all pants, quite frankly. It sounds very much like SPD to me and you can make an appointment with a physio to help you with techniques for getting up etc. You might also get a support girdle which goes round your hips, although I found this uncomfy to sit down in, but was helpful when walking. You should mention it when you give birth, although to be honest, that was the least of my worries at the time!!

Good luck.

Slickbird Sun 20-Jul-08 13:24:03

P.S. Some people end up on crutches so don't feel like you are 'at it' by talking to the doctor about it and sod the MW who thinks it's just to do with your weight, like that's a helpful response. You're not advised to lose weight when pregnant anyway, so a more por-active approach from her wouldn't go amiss!! It's not just about 'everything stretching' with SPD to a greater or lesser degree, your pelvis separates and so all the ligaments are under huge strain. I also had a sorry fanny bone like you!!! (Sorry)

notcitrus Sun 20-Jul-08 15:42:54

Demand a referral to an obstetric physio now! From your GP and midwife, just for good measure. And codeine.

Thanks to the physio and support belt I can walk 100 yards to the bus stop, although banned from commuting. With cocodamol from the GP, and pillow-propping, I can get into one comfy position in bed and stay put and asleep for 6 hours. But basically I can't go far from home without someone to drive or push me in a wheelchair.

The 'muff triangle' (symphysis pubis) pain is the hallmark of traditional SPD rather than more general pelvic girdle pain - bad news is there's less can be done to help, but good news is it should get better very rapidly after birth.

And bah to your unhelpful midwife. <thwap>

Qally Sun 20-Jul-08 16:25:06

They can HELP with SPD and PGP. I was crippled and am now very mobile, as long as I follow all the rules strictly. (Lifts/ramps not stairs, legs together, sit to dress, pelvic exercises, etc. etc. etc) The physio helped enormously, as did a tubigrip support and an EmmaJane support belt. And I'm 11 stone, which isn't so bad at 24 weeks.

Muff-bone-splitting-in-two sensation started with me at 12 weeks, when I was under 9 stone (5 ft 6"), and my physio says it's hormonal and weight is a near-irrelevance, so your midwife is just incorrect.

I was in a ton of pain and am now manageable. There's a lot of help available. You no way have to endure this without any possible amelioration.

Qally Sun 20-Jul-08 16:27:33

Oh, and my hips click badly all the time; also I have to swing my legs together and then sideways to get in and out of cars, and baths (DH has to support me). Doing all the physio advised has meant I just get occasional twinges, when a few weeks ago I could hardly walk.

Klaw Sun 20-Jul-08 16:34:47

Osteopath or chiropractic treatment ASAP

See also the Pelvic Partnership

herbietea Sun 20-Jul-08 16:38:05

Message withdrawn

herbietea Sun 20-Jul-08 16:38:58

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now