Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Im pregnant - but due back to work on monday after maternity leave-ADVICE_PLEASE

(20 Posts)
summerbaby07 Sun 20-Jul-08 11:36:45

Hi there,

just found out im expecting number 2, other half wanted a second child and it happened on first attempt which I wasnt expecting at all! Only problem is I return to work on monday after a years maternity leave. Imagine their shock when I hand over my MABB1!
Im really worried as would I be entitled to maternity pay? is there a set amount of months you have to work before claiming it again. I work for a large employer the local authority.
Carnt afford not to get maternity pay as used all my savings taking 12 months off with baby number 1

fleximum Sun 20-Jul-08 11:39:37

I did exactly the same thing. Work might not like it but maternity leave should count towards your time at work and so you should still be entitled to maternity leave and pay. (at least that is how it was for me in the NHS).

Dottydot Sun 20-Jul-08 11:41:51

Hi - if you work in a large organisation/public sector you should be fine - check with your HR department.

A friend of mine did this - came back 3 months pregnant after a year's mat leave and there was no problem at all. She's just started mat leave x 2 for second baby hopefully appearing any day now!

babyignoramus Sun 20-Jul-08 12:17:03

One of my colleagues (also the local authority) did this - she was back for about 3 months I think! She's still entitled to everything. It happens!

Backgammon Sun 20-Jul-08 12:19:01

<lurking with interest as have been toying with doing this>

LittleMyDancingForJoy Sun 20-Jul-08 12:19:44

Congratulations! Don't worry, it will be a surprise for them but you don't have to tell them for a bit, and they'll get eight months or so of work out of before you go off again. wink

I'd go back and not say anything for a few weeks, let them remember how good you are before you tell them. wink

TheMadHouse Sun 20-Jul-08 12:20:26

I did this, well infact I never went back really. I have 15 months between my two.

I took a year off with DS1, then took 5 weeks holiday, that I had owing and then started my maternity leave again.

This is what they wanted, as they used the person who had covered my maternity leave for the first year to cover the 2nd leave.

It would have made things difficult if I had returned, this way they were fine with it.

DS2 was unplanned, but very much wanted. I think they were really supprised TBH

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sun 20-Jul-08 12:36:39

Maternity leave counts as working, so it's as if you never went off. I guess you will have 6 months or so back before going again? How preg are you?

reban Sun 20-Jul-08 16:43:53

i went back to work after dc2 was 8 months old and i was already 12 weeks gone with number three. I did warn them before i went back but only because they wanted to put me on a six week refresher trainign course and i didnt see the point. I still got my maternity pay, leave and holidays so you should be ok

summerbaby07 Sun 20-Jul-08 22:47:41

Thanks everyone- thats certainly reassured me. Can tell the other half we can still shop at Tesco and not ALDI!
Hi KAT2907 - I found out yesturday and period was due last friday so cant be more than 4 weeks

elkiedee Thu 24-Jul-08 21:19:13

summerbaby, wouldn't panic. I work in local government and I have to be back for 6 months - I can't imagine you'll be required to do more than that and if you work until 8 months you will have been back for 7 on your current estimate - I will have actually been back for 9-10 before I go off again. This pregnancy also happened first time trying, though I had already returned to work for a few weeks, and I know of others it's happened to as soon as they tried, after trying for ages for previous baby.

Also, if you still have annual leave outstanding, you should be able to use that before you start your maternity leave again, and that should count as part of the minimum period.

You won't even get your MAT B1 until 20 weeks, and even if people realise or you tell informally before that it might not be for a few weeks. Do you get sick or feel ill when you're pregnant? If not, you might be able to keep it quiet for a bit longer.

Congratulations.

ilovemydog Fri 25-Jul-08 16:58:07

post this also in employment....

congratuations smile

snig Fri 25-Jul-08 17:02:10

this is abit of a hi jack is it right you accrue holiday when you are on maternity.
cong ratulations summerbaby

pregnancy1 Fri 25-Jul-08 17:18:55

Yes snig - you do. I was delighted to find out that I was still entitled to my full holiday allowance in addition to ML grin

fledtoscotland Fri 25-Jul-08 19:43:12

i came back off mat leave 20weeks pregnant this time and there is nothing they can do. i am entitled to full mat pay again and full holiday entitlement.

btw - congratulations!

DD1ofcolandgerry Fri 25-Jul-08 21:38:46

Same thing has happened me, Im due back at the end of August, and will be 14 weeks preg!! So have to take my years holiday entitlement before I go off again in Feb, plus Ive some carried from last year, so I should be finishing up around Dec! ..........Boss dosnt know yet grin

I work in NHS so will be entitled to full maternity benefits.yipeeeeee gringringrin

zwiggy Fri 25-Jul-08 21:42:49

i know someone who did this and they got the full entitlement , it was for a local authority too. I would love to do this but I'm not ready to face that much sex with my dh and coping with another baby is too hardcore to contemplate, and i really love my pram too and am not ready to trade it for a double buggy, but I envy you really, you're very brave

fledtoscotland Sat 26-Jul-08 19:15:20

lol zwiggy at "that much sex"! i fell pregnant the first time DH and me did it after having DS grin - even more of a shock as the so-called professionals said i wouldnt be able to have any more children

pinks12 Tue 23-Jun-09 15:09:16

Please can someone help me? I have been continuously employed by the nhs for nearly 4 years. Next week i am moving trusts and am desperate for a baby but worried that i will not be entitled to maternity pay because of the length of time with this trust

lal123 Tue 23-Jun-09 15:27:20

pretty sure that its NHS employment rather than "trust" employment which counts towards continuous service. If you google agenda for change handbook you'll find the maternity provisions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now