Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Friend being induced right now..all over itching..really worried..

(13 Posts)
PinkChick Sat 19-Jul-08 20:05:49

She's 37-38 weeks, had one MC early on before this PG..had hard time last few weeks, baby(little boysmile) not moving much, all cleared up at day unit..all good..fiday she went in for blood tests as itching all over, this morn returned for tests and kept in..she did tell me name of it?..but has scared herself as she's read this condition -too much bile inside her/near baby?- can lead to still birth???..she was given tab to induce about 4pm, contractions were getting stronger, but not heard anything in while?..maybe she's busy??winksmile..but i want to send reassuring and correct advise to her if shes still not actually giving birth..has anyone had this and can you tell me the facts please?

Thankyoyusmile

Slickbird Sat 19-Jul-08 20:17:42

I'm sorry to hear you're friend is having a hard time, I'm also sorry I don't have any good support for you, but just wanted to say that I'm hoping the best for you and your friend and I'm sure someone else will be along with better advice soon.

Good luck and let us know how she does. We'll keep our fingers crossed.

berolina Sat 19-Jul-08 20:21:19

obstetric cholestasis - quite reassuring

Thoughts for your friend.

snooks Sat 19-Jul-08 20:25:07

Hello pinkchick, was the name of it 'cholestasis'? If so, my friend had this for the last 15 weeks or so of her last pregnancy. Apart from it being absolutely unbearable to her (the itching), she went almost fullterm and was induced at 38 weeks (for her sake, not because the baby was in any danger).

If that is the condition then maybe you could google?? (always a dangerous thing tho....)

I was induced first pregnancy and it happened pretty fast, there is no way I could have kept anyone informed of what was going on! I hope she is doing ok.

snooks Sat 19-Jul-08 20:25:57

xposts with berolina!

Prufrock Sat 19-Jul-08 20:26:51

It's called Obstetric cholestasis, it is scary (though recent studies have actually shown no significant increase in incidences of stillbirth, but protocol is still to induce early). But there really isn't any need to worry now- as she's been induced they will be doing fetal monitoring so will spot any sign of the babies heart weakening and whisk her straight into theatre for an emergency c-section. Once the baby is born there is no long term damage (there may be slightly more jaundice in the early days but that's completely treatable) and she will stop itching almost immediately and her liver function will return to normal (though there is anecdotal evidence - including me- that there can be decreased liver function causing slight itching just before a period, but that's not dangerous)

I've had 2 pregnancies, and suffered from OC both times, and worried my head off both times, but once you're in labour, you can stop worrying.

LiegeAndLief Sat 19-Jul-08 20:29:11

Sounds like obstetric cholestasis - the liver doesn't work properly and causes a build-up of bile acids in the blood. Early induction is often recommended at about 37-38 weeks as the condition has been linked with an small increase in still births, but it has been argued that this is not the case in actively managed cases and so some consultants are willing to let their patients go to term if everything else is ok.

Hope the induction is going well.. as far as I know there is no increased risk for her or the baby at this stage. Good luck!

LiegeAndLief Sat 19-Jul-08 20:29:40

I am such a slow typist!!

PinkChick Sat 19-Jul-08 20:59:17

hi everyone, yes that IS what she said, am glad to hear she was just given scary storiessmile..no texts (she MUST be busy ive been getting them all daysmile..and its lovely really as we're onl freinds through dc who are at school togethersmile, shes lovely.

will give her a quick text and see how its goingsmile..will let you all know and thanksa gain for the fab advicesmile
x

PinkChick Sun 20-Jul-08 19:48:16

Hi everyonesmile..friend gave birth last night to a beautiful small but healthy little boy, weighed 6lb , no problems and iwas hoping to be home today some time..last spoke to her this morningsmile

snooks Sun 20-Jul-08 19:51:06

pinkchick, that's great news! btw, all my 3 dc have been between 6lb 1oz to 6lb 9oz (born between 37-39 weeks) and they are all perfectly healthy (they just stack on the weight afterwards lol).

bet you can't wait to meet him!

PinkChick Sun 20-Jul-08 19:54:37

i cantsmile, she has sent me photo on camera phone and hes sooo beautiful..my dd was 6lb 11oz, so used to small babies..guna go buy him something little to wear tomorrow as im guessing she will have all 0-3 months things that(if anything like dd) will be totally huge!smile

Slickbird Mon 21-Jul-08 17:05:00

Hurray! Good news.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now