Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

early pregnancy quandary

(6 Posts)
MavisGrind Sat 19-Jul-08 12:42:50

Ok, so currently 5 weeks pregnant with dc#2. In 3 weeks time we're flying back from Australia where we have been living for some time. In the first week we're back we're staying with friends and family.

I will be 8-9 weeks pregnant at this time with one successful pregnancy and one mc behind me.

In these circumstances would you tell all your family and friends your news even though you've had no medical confirmation of a viable pregnancy? (not possible to get an early scan where we're living now)

Is it possible to be checked out by a GP/midwife at the other end of the country to where you live just to see if everything is ok before you announce the news?

Don't really know how to approach this one. Don't want everyone getting all excited if it's not going to work out.

Appreciate anyone's views. Won't be about immediately - time difference means I'm off to bed! smile

buttercupbabe Sat 19-Jul-08 17:15:54

I think if you want to tell people tell them. If you really want to have an early scan you could google private clinics and pay about £100 for a scan. Where are you staying with friends? I think the scan is the only way as a gp or midwife can't really tell you anything about your pregnancy at that stage. Good luck!

Tapster Sat 19-Jul-08 18:52:21

Early scan will only tell you if the pregnancy is viable at that point, I would wait until 12 weeks to be honest.

Just tell the friends and family that you have to. I'm 5 weeks and I've had to tell PILs in order to book my scan so they can look after DD.

Second pregnancy people make far less of a deal about it and won't be that excited probably.

meep Sat 19-Jul-08 18:56:51

I went in the other direction to NZ at the same stage as you and I did tell family and friends out there. It made it easier to explain why I coudl eat nothing but cornflakes for the whole 3 weeks grin. My reasoning behind it was that if something did go wrong my dh could tell them by phone and I wouldn't "see" them.

Mine turned into my dd so it was fine but I am glad I told them as it was probably our last trip out there so it was lovely to be able to share the news with them all.

Congratulations by the way!

thehouseofmirth Sat 19-Jul-08 19:07:02

I'm 9 weeks and told family and close friends from the start just because (having already had 1 MMC as well as a healthy son) I knew that if we have bad news at the scan I'll have more support and it'll be less upsetting for everyone than having to tell them in one go that I was pregnant but now am not.

MavisGrind Sun 20-Jul-08 05:24:13

Thanks all - I guess I should tell on a need to know basis and not be so pessimistic!

Thanks again. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now