Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant after the morning-after pill

(13 Posts)
SquiffyHock Sat 19-Jul-08 12:34:58

Help!! Just had a positive test. I took the morning after pill after DH and I had a drunken night. Am now panicking. Does the morning after pill still have 2 tablets? I got it at tesco and had to take one there but am now worried I was meant to take another.
Also, I'm on citalopram - should I just stop?
Sorry this is messy - we are a bit freaked out here.

Will the morning-after pill or the ADs have harmed the baby?

CarGirl Sat 19-Jul-08 12:36:07

I took the MAP and she is now 11 and fine and very very bright & able.

Don't know about AD's though I would ring NHS direct.

notjustmom Sat 19-Jul-08 12:36:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

belgo Sat 19-Jul-08 12:38:37

Did the pharmacist not explain to you how to take the tablets?

How do you feel about being pregnant?

schneebly Sat 19-Jul-08 12:38:43

I agree that you should not stop taking citalopram immediately - it can be dangerous for you to stop without gradually decreasing dose. Best thing to do is get to the GP asap.

I hope you are ok. x

belgo Sat 19-Jul-08 12:39:49

I think that a pregnancy resulting after taking the morning after pill has a slightly higher chance of being ectopic, so you need to see your GP asap. ANd go to A&E if you have any pain/bleeding.

SquiffyHock Sat 19-Jul-08 13:50:38

To be honest, when i went to the pharmacist i was so shocked that i had to take it there and then - I'm pretty sure that I would have registered if she had told me to take another pill, it's only because a friend said that in the past you always had to take a second one 12 hours later. I guess it doesn't matter now anyway.

I've only been on the citalpram for 2 weeks, 10mg dose. Will call the GP on monday.

I really don't know how I feel - it will be baby no 3 which I always wanted but poor DH is in shock - I only posted a few weeks ago about the fact that he didn't want a third.

Life is so much easier now, the thought of a newborn again is quite scary.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sat 19-Jul-08 14:00:58

It's only one pill now. It's not failsafe, unfortunately, but it's unlikely to have harmed the foetus so try not to worry xxx

SquiffyHock Sat 19-Jul-08 14:15:18

Thanks Kat - I think I was just blaming myself thinking that I'd messed up. It's good to know it's only one pill.

Well, I guess we'll have to get our heads around it - DH has gone to get another test to 'check' but I'm fairly sure you can't get a false positive.

belgo Sat 19-Jul-08 14:20:13

Squiffy - don't blame yourself. It was half your dh's responsibility to make sure you didn't become pregnant - you both had a drunken night. You then got yourself the MAP.

Hope it is all ok - do get yourself to the GP.

Rhian82 Sat 19-Jul-08 14:32:45

I was on Citalopram when pregnant, and didn't end up stopping it until I was about 8 weeks or so. There's no research that says it's dangerous, just that they haven't tested it enough to guarantee that it's safe.

I was changed to Imipramine, which I found pretty useless and ended up coming off myself (and coping okay) - one thing they didn't tell me but I looked up for myself is that Imipramine shouldn't be taken in the third trimester, so I would have had to change anyway.

I think fluoxetine is one of the better ones to be on in pregnancy, it has some mild effects but nothing too serious, and they've done enough research to know that. Really you just need to talk to a doctor about it. You definitely shouldn't come off them before you're ready though as the health risks (to your mental health) could be worse than the risks of the pills.

Jenski Sat 19-Jul-08 18:20:31

Gosh the same happened to me. Also baby no.3 and not well timed. DH was absolutely horrified to say the least (as was I) but over time we are both now looking forward to another. I am now 20 weeks, and although some complications at the beginning, nothing related to the MAP, and everything appears to be fine now.

How old are your other 2?

SquiffyHock Sun 20-Jul-08 18:34:35

4 and 21 months. I just feel like life is quite easy now, we went to the park today and didn't take a pram or any other stuff, just a nappy in the car. At the end, DD was on Dh's shoulders and DS on mine.
We have a girl and a boy - I'm just worried that the balance of their relationship will change, they get on so well now - will there always be one left out?
Selfish things too - needing another bedroom, a new car. I don't know... I'm kind of hoping that it will just go away so I don't have to think about it. I know I will love a new baby just as much, it's just hard to imagine it now as I'm so besotted with the two I have. (Apart from when they're killing each other but that's a whole different set of worries grin)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now