Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

France on a ferry at 32 weeks.

(8 Posts)
Aubergenie Fri 18-Jul-08 17:28:28

I've got the option to visit my parents for a few days while they are in France when I am 32 weeks pregnant. I would be travelling on my own as my DP needs to save his holiday for when the baby comes. The only thing is, it means travelling on a ferry on my own for 7 hours and DP is feeling very worried in case I go into labour in the middle of the channel.

I think it's highly unlikely and therefore it's a risk I'm happy to take (I will be insured and the ferry people are happy to take pregnant women up to 33 weeks as long as they're low risk). I've been working really hard and this is my only real chance of a break before the baby comes. He's not so worried about me once I'm on dry land with my parents, but it's the ferry journey that's worrying him.

Would you feel OK about a trip like that, or do you think I'm being reckless?

thehouseofmirth Fri 18-Jul-08 18:04:04

I think if you feel OK about it then you should go. Sounds like you're looking forward to it.

milkmoustache Fri 18-Jul-08 18:19:15

Go for it! There will be a nurse/GP station on board so just tell your DH that you will immediately track them down and let them know you are there which might reassure him. I'm 35 weeks and just got back from a week in France via Eurotunnel where I really would have been in trouble had labour started early! As it was I did feel a bit wobbly with the stuffy, hot air but walked round a bit and all was well...

Aubergenie Sat 19-Jul-08 09:34:00

Thanks ladies - I think we need to have another chat about it.

ataraxis Sat 19-Jul-08 09:49:35

I have just returned from 10 days in france (33 weeks - actually, I didn't know the ferries had a date limit!) - went by ferry, all was fine, despite a very rough crossing on the way over. I guess it depends on how you are feeling. There was nowhere i could get pg related travel insurance so just had to take the risk that all would be ok.

dobbins Sat 19-Jul-08 12:35:53

Hi also just come back from France on ferry (31 weeks)- no problems- but take your emdical notes just in case for when you are in France.

PortAndLemon Sat 19-Jul-08 12:37:26

I would do it, absolutely.

notcitrus Sat 19-Jul-08 13:39:48

Go for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now