Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

REFUSING A SWEEP AT 41 WEEKS-ANY ADVICE?

(7 Posts)
gillythekid Fri 18-Jul-08 09:22:24

I've been told by my MW that she has to book me in for a hospital visit on Monday. I really don't want any intervention, despite being fed up, I want my body to be ready for labour, not coerced into it. I know many of you disagree but would be keen to hear from those of you who have stood your ground and been firm with what you wanted..any advice?

dinkystinky Fri 18-Jul-08 12:30:55

I didnt refuse a sweep - had two in the end then was induced at 42 weeks... However, if you really dont want a sweep, explain your reasoning to the midwife and get them to monitor you and the baby instead.

mum2oandh Fri 18-Jul-08 12:34:41

I know it's not what you want to hear, but a sweep is very low level intervention, and may save you from much worse intervention ie induction later on. Just something to consider. Good luck whatever you decide smile

firsttimemama Fri 18-Jul-08 12:39:07

IIRC a sweep will only help the process along if your cervix is ready I was 1cm when I had mine at 40+3 no outward signs of labour though but it stated two hours after the sweep I was glad I had it rather than hang around another few days.

gillythekid Fri 18-Jul-08 13:43:58

Can they check your cervix and give you a bishop score before doing a sweep? I haven't even had a show yet but wonder if the cervix can be ready regardless?

GreenMonkies Fri 18-Jul-08 13:48:37

Your MW may have to book the visit, but you don't have to go!!

Tell them you are happy to be monitored but won't consider any form of induction (including a sweep) until 43 weeks. After all EDD stands for Estimated due date, not exact, I think a lot of people, including MW's and Drs need reminding of this!

Monkies

gillythekid Fri 18-Jul-08 13:53:35

Amen to that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now