Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

why do people seem to always have their babies at night?

(50 Posts)
star6 Thu 17-Jul-08 08:46:21

Just curious, really. Anyone had their baby during the day?

Roskva Thu 17-Jul-08 08:58:13

Maybe 'cos most babies are conceived at night grin

No, seriously, I read somewhere that most mammals give birth at night when there are fewer predators out hunting, to give mum and baby a better chance of being able to run for it come daylight. Whether that's true or not, I don't know.

Anyway, a friend of mine had her second at 10am.

ivykaty44 Thu 17-Jul-08 08:59:33

More babies born at full moon wink

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsTittleMouse Thu 17-Jul-08 09:02:49

I found that during my three days (shock) of early labour that the contractions would intensify at night and ease off during the day. Which made it really hard to get any proper rest. When it came to the really hard core active stuff it started at night, but I would have had DD during the day if she hadn't been OP and completely stuck.

NatalieJaneIsPregnantAgain Thu 17-Jul-08 09:03:27

DS1 6.30pm, DS2 3.50am. (They were both induced though)

I was born at 8.30am, my sister had at least one of hers in the afternoon, other sister had hers in the late morning.

star6 Thu 17-Jul-08 09:24:53

lol I didn't even think about when I was born... ha ha!! 7.59am...
I've been watching the famous overdue thread and it just seems like it's most expected to happen during the night... so I wondered why this is. The mammal instinct thing makes a lot of sense!!! For modern day humans, getting up out of sleep to do all of that hard work just seems unfair! hmm

MrsMagooo Thu 17-Jul-08 09:33:24

I read that many women who are on their 2nd+ babies tend to go into labour at night as they are more relaxed & also safe in the knowledge that older children are tucked up in bed wink

How true that is I don't know but I am finding I'm getting VERY strong BH's & mild contractions in the evening/night!

Celery Thu 17-Jul-08 09:35:43

All three of my labours started in the evening, and I laboured through the night for them to be born early in the morning.

Piffle Thu 17-Jul-08 09:36:22

all mine!
Ds1 3:30pm
Dd 7.30am
Ds2 6.30am

Fennel Thu 17-Jul-08 09:38:37

All 3 of my labours started in the evening.

But I don't find it remotely relaxing waiting to go into labour. It's about the least relaxing thing I can think of, actually. Whether or not my older children are in bed.

Goober Thu 17-Jul-08 09:39:30

Because you are more relaxed.
My 3 were all night babies.

MrsBadger Thu 17-Jul-08 09:41:31

I think going into labour at bedtime is pretty common, and then it just depends on how long the labour is.

I rather liked labouring at night but, as I've mentioned before I had a bit of a cavewoman vibe going on (in the pool in a cosy, dim basement room) - felt very natural to hunker down in the dark for the difficult bit and then emerge into the sunlight in the morning with a new baby and a big grin, rather like the beginning of the Lion King...

motherinferior Thu 17-Jul-08 09:42:51

Neither of mine were born at night. DD1 was at 12minutes past noon (accelerated by ventouse, so could have been another few hours but still in the day) and DD2 was at 8.38pm.

Relaxed?

Rubyrubyruby Thu 17-Jul-08 09:43:31

fruitful Thu 17-Jul-08 09:43:53

A mw in hosp told me that actually is is pretty evenly spread around the clock, but people remember the bits that were at night. So if labour starts or finishes any time between 5pm and 9am, then "the baby was born at night".

Apart from full moons. The maternity wards really do get busier then.

Elloeise Thu 17-Jul-08 09:44:00

I started active labour at around 9.45am and had DS 10.48am

RhinestoneCowgirl Thu 17-Jul-08 09:46:12

Well I thought DS was going to be born at night, as I went into labour at around 5pm-ish and was established by around midnight.

However, I couldn't seem to let go, and labouring at night seemed v lonely (with just DH for company) and I was willing the sun to come up. In the end DS was born at 2pm the next day - with my neighbours kids playing football directly outside the window, so not exactly peaceful.

I do hope to pop this one out overnight, just to avoid having to toddler wrangle during labour (hopefully another homebirth)

MrsMagooo Thu 17-Jul-08 09:46:41

I'm hoping baby comes during the day this time - labour started at 6:30pm with DD & she was born at 4:21am & I was shattered through lack of sleep lol!!

Come on little man - day time for Mummy pleasewink

MaloryTowersUrbaniteLady Thu 17-Jul-08 09:46:56

wessexgirl Thu 17-Jul-08 09:47:56

Dd1 was a night bird, born just after 5 a.m.

Dd2 was a swift afternoon labour, popping out around six in the evening.

solo Thu 17-Jul-08 10:07:21

10:50 for me first time, but went into labour(contractions)at 18:30 the previous evening.
With Dd I went into labour(contractions started) at 06:30 and gave birth to her on Boxing day at 17:15. Both born during the day

quickerthistimeplease Thu 17-Jul-08 12:10:06

DD at 6.24 pm

Told I was in labour at midday (didn't realise although 6cm dilated shock)

Jas Thu 17-Jul-08 12:11:00

2 of my 3 were born during the day.

Flamesparrow Thu 17-Jul-08 12:11:38

7.05pm for the first (w3as summer though so bright)

7.25am the second

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now