Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

PLEASE HELP ME FIND GORGEOUS MATERNITY DRESS FOR BROTHERS WEDDING!!

(21 Posts)
mad4mybaby Wed 16-Jul-08 19:13:08

I am currently 21 weeks and my brother is getting married in october. I really want something that looks really gorgeous. Not just 'nice'. I dont want to look awful which i do in anything with a pattern/flowery.

Im a size 8 and 5'3 and if im not careful can look dumpy in dresses so would ideally want something quite clingy on body and a long skirt. Have seen a fantastic dress on isabella oliver but can only get it it white and dont agree with wearing white to a wedding! grin

I know it sounds like a long shot all the above but im not giving up yet! Am scouting ebay all the time. Places such as next have 'nice' dresses but i want something different. Also trying to find somewhere that rents maternity evening dresses but struggling with that too!

Any help appreciated!

twinklytoes Wed 16-Jul-08 19:30:10

lucinda dress any good?

google maternity exchange - i think they hire.

mad4mybaby Wed 16-Jul-08 19:35:07

oooh yeah but they dont have in my size!!!

traceybath Wed 16-Jul-08 19:37:44

expensive

but may be something there if money no object.

laidbackinengland Wed 16-Jul-08 19:38:36

I'm thinking of wearing this to a wedding in September www.isabellaoliver.com/maternity-clothes/maternity-dresses/Ruffle-Wrap-Dress/D/30100/P/2:100:1020/I/ DR60

christiana Wed 16-Jul-08 19:41:01

Message withdrawn

SparklyGothKat Wed 16-Jul-08 19:41:35

i have a pic on my profile of me and dh at a wedding, the dress is from jojo mama bebe. am a size 8 and 5ft tall

nobodysfool Wed 16-Jul-08 19:41:46

www.next.co.uk/shopping/women/maternityandbaby/8/12

www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=19551&s toreId=12556&categoryId=42395&parent_category_rn=42391&productId=680937&langId=-1

Or my fav!
www.cravematernity.co.uk/CraveMaternitySite/product/dresses/DRS330.htm

TillyScoutsmum Wed 16-Jul-08 19:43:25

Some lovely dresses here

margoandjerry Wed 16-Jul-08 19:44:20

laidback my sister has that dress in indigo for a wedding. It's stunning and the colour is amazing - much better than on the website.

mad4mybaby Wed 16-Jul-08 19:53:58

traceybath, those prices actually made me LOL!! Mind you i would spend £800 on a dress if i had that money!

christiana what is west village??

PollyParanoia Wed 16-Jul-08 20:18:23

Could you not accessorize Isabella Oliver white dress with, I don't know, a coloured ribbon under bust line, jacket, cardigan etc so that it looked less white? Personally, I didn't give a monkey that a couple of friends wore white to my wedding, though I may have been bothered had they gone for full length with a veil and a tiara...

mad4mybaby Wed 16-Jul-08 21:31:42

no i wouldnt feel comfortable in white plus with a 2yr old ds white is the last colour i'd wear! Even at home i dont own any white t shirts!

welshlinz Wed 16-Jul-08 21:37:31

http://www.funmum.com/maternity-clothes-shop/maternity-clearance/zebra-print-dress-and-classic-linen -trouser

twosofar Wed 16-Jul-08 22:07:17

I wore a non maternity wrap dress but with belt tied under my bump to make it look more prominent (ie so I looked less chunky and more cheggers). Put a vest under it so your boobs don't fall out as the dress parts company at the top!

slinkiemalinki Wed 16-Jul-08 23:24:48

West Village is a shop in Notting Hill (if it's the one I'm thinking of).

dinkystinky Thu 17-Jul-08 09:02:48

Apparently Monsoon do maternity wear - so may be worth looking into that.

Otherwise Isabelle Oliver does some really lovely dresses (love the one Laidback suggested) - another online shop is Seraphine (french designs, beautifully cut, good EBAY resale value).

Best of luck finding the perfect dress.

twelveyeargap Thu 17-Jul-08 10:20:58

I bought an empire line maxi-dress in Monsoon for a black-tie wedding recently (I was almost 7 months pregnant). I bought it in a larger size than usual to fit in the pregnancy boobs and the empire line of it sat really nicely over the bump. Plus, it was a LOT cheaper than a maternity evening dress!

It's worth looking at empire line stuff. There's still a lot of it about in the shops.

I wore this one: www.picchumaternity.com/uk/acatalog/occeve_shift_dress.html

It was very comfortable and I got lots of compliments!

MummyValentine Thu 17-Jul-08 12:01:17

Had similar dilemma, but everything I found was BLACK and I just couldn't wear black to a wedding. I got mayreau aloe dress in the end. It was fab! I wanted something that I could wear more than once. Seraphine also do beautiful dresses here
My sister's just bought a lovely silky number from Jojomaman, very dressy, but I can't find it online.

justkeepswimming Thu 17-Jul-08 12:05:25

try here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now