Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Waters Breaking - Advice please!

(8 Posts)
Sophrosyne1 Wed 16-Jul-08 11:11:05

Hi All,

40 weeks tomorrow, woke up this morning in a tiny wet patch, not urine but wondering if this could be a leak of my waters. I have been told it can be anything from a trickle to a gush but as this is my first baby not sure what it is likely to be like.

Should I give hospital a call even though nothing much else seems to be happening?

iamamummy Wed 16-Jul-08 11:23:10

definately give the hospital a call to be on the safe side.

if it is your waters you only have 24 or 36 hours before your baby is at risk of infection.

good luck smile

blot4 Wed 16-Jul-08 14:01:30

If there's only a tiny bit, I wouldn't worry too much. If your waters have really broken you are likely to get a reasonable quantity, even if it's only the hind waters like mine was. I felt like I couldn't stop weeing (definitely a trickle not a gush) but I knew it wasn't urine.

SixSpotBurnet Wed 16-Jul-08 14:09:23

Agree with blot4, when your waters go, even if it's just hind waters, you do tend to know about it.

Good luck though, sounds like something's going to happen soon! Very excited for you! Is it first baby?

MrsTiddles Wed 16-Jul-08 18:34:46

I was told that if you think a little has come out, wear a sanitary napkin so you can collect any more and see.

To be honest, right at the very end, the old bladder ain't what it is without a baby pressing down and can be prone to minor leaks.

When my waters broke with DS they flooded the bathroom, the car, the hospital reception, the hospital bed. It went on for a long time and no one was in any doubt, there was much splashing about.

Sophrosyne1 Wed 16-Jul-08 19:34:55

Thanks for all the advice. Rang hospital and have been monitoring the situation all day... looks like a false alarm. Shame really, am bored waiting now!!!

MrsTiddles Wed 16-Jul-08 19:36:32

It will happen soon enough and I hope it goes well. Let us know smile

FAQ Wed 16-Jul-08 19:36:59

actually NICE guidelines are 72hours - so should they go and nothing else happens straight away don't let them rush you into an induction. And if you don't want to stay in the hospital when they've gone you don't have to - risk of infection at home no greater than if you stay in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now