Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Has anyone tested themselves for Strep B?

(12 Posts)
Jane7 Tue 15-Jul-08 13:03:11

Trying to work out if it's worth it. My hospital don't offer this test, but I've discovered that I could buy a test kit myself online here http://www.mumstuff.co.uk/acatalog/Group-B-Streptococcus-Screening-Test-Kit.html
and test myself at about 37 weeks.
Has anyone else done this, and do you think Strep B is a concern or should I just forget it.

Jane7 Tue 15-Jul-08 14:08:10

sorry to bump, but just hoping someone might know something about strep B

Lionstar Tue 15-Jul-08 14:16:46

Yes I did because I'd heard of some very sad cases locally where babies died following infection. Seemed a small price to pay for a bit of reassurance, particularly as were planning a home birth. Midwives thought it a good idea.

Kit comes with 2 swabs for vaginal and rectal testing, a bit yicky to do but not awful. Got test results within a couple of days.

Jane7 Tue 15-Jul-08 14:27:19

thanks lionstar - and what was verdict? were you negative? i wonder what happens if you're positive. I suppose you just have to tell your midwife etc

SixSpotBurnet Tue 15-Jul-08 14:29:32

I did it when pg with DS2, because DS1 nearly died when he was born and although no-one ever knew why, one theory was an infection that was not picked up. Fortunately it was negative with DS2 (not that that stopped me worrying!).

If you are positive, you will have to be on an antibiotic drip while you are in labour, I think.

Lionstar Tue 15-Jul-08 14:33:26

Sorry yes should have said - was negative. If positive they probably wouldn't have let me try for home birth - didn't happen anyway though smile.

If positive then they start IV antibiotics during labour and give baby some on delivery I believe, when caught in time like this the risks are very small. Not sure why they don't do universal testing for something that can have such a dreadful outcome.

SixSpotBurnet Tue 15-Jul-08 14:35:01

I've never understood that either (why they don't test everyone, I mean).

I had never even heard of it until DS1 nearly died (nine years ago today, as it happens).

quickerthistimeplease Tue 15-Jul-08 16:01:17

The first I knew about Strep B was when I was in hospital having had DD. They tested in labour but didn't tell me I was positive till 3 days later so then had to stay in another 3 days so DD could have antibiotics. Am 10 wks pg now and the MW says they will assume I am positive and i will have to have antibiotics duriong labour but they must be started 4 hours before baby is born. DD only came in 6 hours and I didn't know i was in labour so now have started to think 'what happens if I don't get there in time' etc etc. Guess they would then have to give antibiotics to baby for 3 days? Will def have to stay in 48 hours anyway, she told me.

greenlawn Tue 15-Jul-08 18:51:54

I tested positive for this a few weeks ago - had a swab done following some bleeding. The scary thing is the nhs test only picks up 50% of cases (they only do a vaginal swab not rectal as well).

Not really sure what happens if baby arrives without the time for 4 hours a/bs, which it might as this is no.4. Midwife has so far been a bit vague on it.

Mizza76 Tue 15-Jul-08 21:25:10

I've been tested positive for strep b and since I gave birth so quickly to my first daughter have also been worried about what would happen if I didn't have 4 hours before the birth. I've been told that if I don't get the 4 hours of antibiotics, they treat the baby for 24 hours after birth. I've also asked if they can give me a course of antibiotics in week 38 or 39 and was told it wasn't worth it as your strep b status can apparently change quickly - which in a way is reassuring but of-course I would prefer it if they tested me again around that time and then dealt with it if I was still positive.
(I was positive for strep b in my first pregnancy too, btw, but the NHS never tested me and it wasn't picked up until five days AFTER I give birth - I had to stay in hospital for 10 days of intraveneous antibiotics and they never tested the baby, just told me I 'would know' if something was wrong - which was really reassuring for a first-time mother - NOT.)

star6 Wed 16-Jul-08 07:16:27

I just can't believe they don't test for this as standard... that makes NO sense. When you buy that kit online, where do you send it off to get the results?

greenlawn Wed 16-Jul-08 10:50:45

star6, you send it back to the lab you ordered it from - generally they send the kit out free and then you pay to return it and receive the results - I think about £32-33 standard?

Mizza76 is right about the status changing quickly too - even if you take anti-b's you get "recolonised" very quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now