Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby position at 29 weeks

(10 Posts)
KJ11 Tue 15-Jul-08 11:26:58

Hi
I saw my midwife last week and the baby is breech, she said not to worry until about 36 weeks - but I am... any advice on best things to do to help it turn or what are the chances of it turning?!
Thanks

nellyonthetelly Tue 15-Jul-08 12:25:33

Hi there, With my first I was told she was breech at 37 weeks, I was sent for to see a consultant first and then sent for the scan (probably the wrong way round as it happened! However, I now know more about turning as a result!) So scan showed her head was actually her bum - But wonderful consultant assured me that all the old wives tales in the world wouldn't turn a baby. He certainly convinced me that there was nothing I could personally do - he also explained the process of turning and its risks of onset of labour - But he didn't advice it as the baby in most cases turns right back. As she wasn't breech we didn't discuss anything further, and I must admit I wouldn't have fancied as CS - I'm guessing since he didn't have any faith in turning thats what he would have suggested. Anyway relax! I honestly don't believe you can do anything lets just hope bub gets the idea! If not theres always that moxibustion -don't know how effective that is supposed to be - but it would depend on how desperate u are to avoid a CS. Good Luck!

ChocOrange05 Tue 15-Jul-08 12:52:03

Apparently a birthing ball can help with turning the baby - if you kneel over it, it can help align the babies spine with your tummy. I bought a birthing ball online and it came with some exercises which explained this.

Also - how do they tell without scanning that its in breech?? Mine was at my 20 week scan and I'm just curious as to how they will check next time if its moved?

KJ11 Tue 15-Jul-08 13:15:56

Thanks for advice. My midwife felt that it was breech and then im lucky in having a mum that is a midwife who scanned me the following day which showed it to definitely be.

Deux Tue 15-Jul-08 13:50:42

My baby was transverse at 28 weeks, having been breech at 23 weeks. I was quite keen to get her turned if possible. Midwife suggested that I get on all fours with bum in the air *when the baby is moving around*.

I did it that night when baby was very active and felt the most almighty kind of rapid whooshing sensation. Actually felt quite nauseous. Lo and behold baby moved and has remained head down ever since. I was very sceptical that it would work.

KJ11 Tue 15-Jul-08 14:05:34

that is very interesting Deux, i had read something similar but was unsure whether it might work - might give ut a go!

kookiegoddess Tue 15-Jul-08 14:06:06

if the baby is in the RIGHT position, ie with its spine against your belly button, can you feel it? I feel all kinds of movement at the mo(I'm 28 weeks) and I never feel sure that the back is facing the right way.

BlueJellie Tue 15-Jul-08 19:37:57

how do you 'feel' which way the baby is facing or turned? I feel a lot of movement but I haven't got a clue whether they are hands or feet etc and I'm 28 weeks?

KJ11 Wed 16-Jul-08 11:29:53

i don't have a clue, although a lot of my movement is much lower down, i haven't had any kicks in the ribs yet. it was just the MW that felt it to be breech and then confirmed by the scan i was lucky to be able to have.

Tangle Wed 16-Jul-08 22:14:38

SpinningBabies has lots of info on how to work out which way round your baby is - arms, legs, back, etc. If baby is breech, the lump at the top should be ballotable - ie if you push gently on either side it should swing freely "like the basket of a balloon". If baby is head down and you try the same thing, the entire baby should move.

DD was palpated breech at 28 weeks and stubbornly refused to turn. She arrived as a vaginal breech birth at home with IMs.

Two books I found very useful were "Breech Birth" by Benna Waites and "Breech Birth: What are my options" by Jane Evans. I found both of these to give evidence based information regarding complementary methods of turning, ECV, CS, vaginal breech birth and vaginal breech delivery.

I think the stats are something like 15-20% of babies are breech at 30 weeks. 3-4% are still breech at term (37-42 weeks). So there is a very good chance that your baby will turn of its own volition That said, I was like you, and very glad that my MW had let me know so that I had a chance to do some homework before the NHS swung into "so lets book you a CS then" mode...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now