Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

what are the risk with refusing induction?

(13 Posts)
mummy2bsoon Tue 15-Jul-08 11:20:20

hiya...

im just been speakign to a friend, so scared me, and said that if i refuse induction and go for expectant management there are lots of risks to my baby...

i was wondering if this is true?
what kind of risks?

thank u

belgo Tue 15-Jul-08 11:21:45

It depends on the reason for the induction, and how closely you are monitored if you refuse induction.

mummy2bsoon Tue 15-Jul-08 11:25:29

reason overdue!

im not overdue just yet, well according to one date i am...

belgo Tue 15-Jul-08 11:27:37

Is this your fist baby? How sure are you about your dates?

What is the proposed care if you don't want to be induced?

mummy2bsoon Tue 15-Jul-08 11:30:09

yup 1st baby, got a hosp appointment tmw, will find out then...

im sure that my date is around the 16th, as i was on holiday wen i got pregnant, but my hosp goin by the 11th, which is my lmp date and the sonograph the bum didnt change it one my 12 week scan, she said a few days wotn make a difference!!! WELL IT DOES NOW!

belgo Tue 15-Jul-08 11:32:51

I would explain to them that you know when you concieved and that you are sure your due date is tomorrow.

Many women take 42 weeks to 'make' their baby, and don't have any problems. I went just 6 days over due with dd2, and in that time I was happy to have monitoring every couple of days to make sure that the baby was still ok.

mummy2bsoon Tue 15-Jul-08 11:34:20

ok will do, thanks.. i forgot to mention i have complications with my baby, kidney problem, growth ( small side) and talipes...but it wasnt enuf for them to induce me early, as they decided better for baby to stay in....

belgo Tue 15-Jul-08 11:35:33

It is your decision. Keep this thread bumped and I'm sure someone with more knowledge will come along.

mummy2bsoon Tue 15-Jul-08 11:42:18

thanx...

belgo Tue 15-Jul-08 12:13:48

bump for anyone else

elkiedee Tue 15-Jul-08 12:30:02

They shouldn't normally induce until 10 days over anyway, which even by the first date means they shouldn't do it before the 21st. And they are supposed to examine you and check that other things make it likely to succeed. If the hospital are prepared to do expectant management, based on their weighing up the risks, I think it's a reasonable choice.

mummy2bsoon Tue 15-Jul-08 15:40:37

bump

belgo Wed 16-Jul-08 16:15:12

Have you been for your hospital appointment mummy2besoon?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now