Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Tightening feeling in upper tummy???

(9 Posts)
Shelli08 Mon 14-Jul-08 21:35:05

Hi im 23 weeks pg and quite often it looks like the bump is at the top of my tummy and feels extrememley tight, does anyone know what this is?

reethi96 Mon 14-Jul-08 21:38:38

Braxton Hicks. There are other threads on here for more info. x

LyraSilvertongue Mon 14-Jul-08 21:39:48

Sounds like Braxton Hicks to me. I had them both pgs.

callmeovercautious Mon 14-Jul-08 21:41:01

Sounds like LO is having a stretch grin I loved that feeling, much more then a kick in the ribs wink

Put your hand on it and gently press so LO can feel you responding, DD used to push back.

callmeovercautious Mon 14-Jul-08 21:41:57

Was that BH? No wonder I thought I never had any - I just thought it was DD wiggling blush

Shelli08 Mon 14-Jul-08 22:05:11

what is BH lol?

LyraSilvertongue Mon 14-Jul-08 22:12:58

Braxton Hicks contractions are when your bump goes tight for a few minutes. Used to make me feel light-headed too.

BrightShinySun Tue 15-Jul-08 08:40:58

That sounds exactly like what happened to me the other day it made me feel like it was hard to take a breath. Im only 20wks though,surely it cant be BH this early could it? I didnt have any at all last pg?

belgo Tue 15-Jul-08 08:44:32

I had braxton hicks from 12 weeks with my first pregnancy, due to dehydration from morning sickness. I was monitored for them at 20 weeks. They didn't do anything, and I didn't go into labour until 40 weeks.

By definition BH will not do anything - but if you are having a lot of them very regulary, and they are lasting for quite a while, or if they are painful, it's best to get yourself checked out by your midwife.

Some women never experience them during pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now