Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

morning sickness remedies

(11 Posts)
ranirani Mon 14-Jul-08 16:00:23

any remedies???? please!! I am 8 weeks PG and finally it kicked in.

TheFallenMadonna Mon 14-Jul-08 16:01:11

It's going to sound odd, but sniffing a cut lemon is actually very helpful...

thebecster Mon 14-Jul-08 16:04:34

I got some relief from:-
- sucking mints
- ginger tea
- eating protein (others find carbs are better, but for me it was protein - little & often)
- salt & vinegar crisps - I could usually keep a meal down if I ate a few crisps beforehand
- giving up cows milk
- keeping peppermint oil on a hanky in my pocket to sniff if there was a horrid smell (like on the tube)
- DH getting up very early and bringing me toast in bed which I ate while still half-asleep. If I tried to get up before eating I was horribly sick.

Hope some of these help!

ranirani Mon 14-Jul-08 21:32:15

thanks a lot, will try ginger tea, as I love it and crisps is a good idea!!

Qally Tue 15-Jul-08 16:46:59

Melon really helped me, chilled from the fridge, and also posh sorbets (soothed tummy) and plain mashed potato and steamed veg was all I could eat at all for months. Grated ginger in hot water was good too, and weirdly sort of moroccan spiced tomato/bean soups from Pret A Manger at lunchtime - no fat but a little spicy, somehow they helped.

It's VILE, I was so unwell I lost loads of weight and was given meds, so I really, really do sympathise - but when it goes, it goes, and you can hardly remember it after - probably a dastardly trick by nature to make you have more babies! Rest is also really helpful - the more tired, the more sick I felt.

Also if vitamins are making you sick get the tiny folic acid tablets? I swapped and it helped. Big vitamin pills are the last straw when you feel so delicate.

Seeline Tue 15-Jul-08 16:51:38

Poor you - I was really sick for the first 4 months with my first, and couldn't keep much down at all. Ginger didn't work for me and 7 years on I still can't face ginger biscuits!! I did find it better if I wasn't too tired or too hungry (difficult I know) Rich tea biscuits, rice crispies, dry toast. Second time round I made the Doctor give me pills as soon as the sickness started!!

artichokes Tue 15-Jul-08 16:53:42

IME there is little relief from bad morning sickness. Tiredness makes it worse as does dehydration but other than avoiding these I found nothing much helped. Sorry!

sketti Tue 15-Jul-08 21:55:17

i lived on strawaberry jelly through my hypermesis.i know u will feel behond awful now, but after getting through it any other problem seems a breaze

gillythekid Wed 16-Jul-08 10:17:50

There is a supplement called P-5-P, it's a type of B vit and is supposed to be really effective for pregnancy nausea, you'd need to get it from a good independent health food store as they may need to order it in. I found this out a little too late! I felt sick for the first 18 weeks, if I wasn't eating!

laweaselmys Fri 25-Jul-08 21:01:00

You know those wrist bands you get for travel sickness with the lumps that press against your pressure points - those are my morning sickness godsend I don't know if you're actually supposed to but I have a habit of sleeping in them as getting to sleep and waking up are my worst times for feeling sick, my neighbour lent me some as soon as I told her I was pregnant... I also like plain pasta with olive oil.

star6 Fri 25-Jul-08 21:06:51

I found first thing in the morning, if I did NOT stand up, but crawled on teh floor to the bathroom and stood up once I got into the shower (once it was put on by DH) really helped... also, grabbed a cracker (always stored by bedside) on my way (just before the crawl) for some reason, not standing up immediately and staying low to the ground helped... could just be psychological, though grin but it worked!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now